News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

6.9 restoration

Started by alabbasi, 27 May 2007, 09:09 PM

alabbasi

Guys,  a friend who bought one of my old 6.9's is in the process of a full blown restoration.

I've attached some pictures and a write up on the following link.

http://w108.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1075#1075

Enjoy.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Yikes - pop rivets from the previous resto.  Gives me ideas for a WWII fighter look ;D

I think I'd run from that much rust.  But gee I'm glad there's people around able to tackle a project like this and save another flagship.  Thanks for sharing alabassi.   All the best to Ken as well.  Is he going to stick with black?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

alabbasi

He's undecided on the black. I've tried to influence that decision and ask him to stay with black. However he's a good body guy and he knows that black reveals all imperfections. With all the cutting and welding, it may not be the best choice.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

gregdeklerk

You have to admire an owner who tackles a job like that!! I think I would have given up, but then again, it is a 6.9!! :D

johnnyw116

Quote from: parks on 28 May 2007, 02:38 AM
alabassi, holy shit thats some serious rust :o, Ive repaired some serious rust in my time but not quite as bad as that.......regards Parks
in holland manny W116's looked like that , sometimes worse ! the originally in holland deliverd cars become rare !
know you know what the weather in holland does with a W116 verry sad but true  :'( 

JohnnyW116

500eguy

that is really awesome.... that is going to be one happy car when done! :)

alabbasi

Some more pictures of the progress.

The right side quarter has been cut away.

You can see that there is some rust on the inner wheelarch

The bottom of the door pillar is rusted pretty badly

The other side of the b-pillar has had pop rivets put in place from the previous restoration.

The lower quarter was rusty and had plates pop rivited in place.

The B-piller mess

More mess

Some close up pictures of the B-Pillers. It appears to be very challanging.

Rocker appears to have been crushed, and then covered with bondo.

New quarter welded into place.

Studs welded into place to pull the dent.

Dent pulled

B-Piller cut away for repair section.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

s class

Al,

Thanks for sharing this saga with us.  Its both inspiring and a bit disturbing that the car could have got into this state.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

John Hubertz

The beauty of this story includes the fact that this car sat for several YEARS behind a ghetto used-furniture and appliance business, and only the fact the bumpers looked oddly large drew me to the rear of the car, that was butted up against the building.

It was high and tight then too.... after not being run for God knows how many months.

A 6" section of high pressure fuel line had been replaced with windshield washer hose...

BTW, I'm sure from the photo that the patch they used on the quarter (the rivets) was gleaned from the bottom of the spare tire well, as a very oddly shaped section had been neatly cut out, even though the well showed no rust.

The aesthetic loss of not having it in my driveway after selling it to Al motivated me to sell my 107 project car also, and buy Max.

I'm so happy it was rescued - like all neglected Benz it had several amazingly good points, and an amazing amount of stuff that was horrible.  Hats off to Al for finding it a good home.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

alabbasi

John

I think the car is now pretty close to you (close to Milwaukie). If your ever in town, I'll let Ken know. Per John's note, the car was quite attractive. I sometimes regret selling it and buying the 76 Euro which is a real albatros.

All the best

Al
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.