News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 repair underway - by east london hairy bloke.

Started by pal, 24 December 2011, 03:14 AM

pal

Hi All, Just checking in, I'm posted abroad now and haven't had any time to work on the project for some time. Its in the way at home... so I need to make a choice. In case anyone is interested in taking the car off my hands we could come to a sensible arrangement. I have a bunch of spares and have done a ton of work on it. The car is bone dry and in goodish condition. Its not taxed at the moment so you would need a trailer, please message me if you are interested. [size=78%]Best - [/size][/size][size=78%]Pal[/size]

marku

Shame you have to give up. Have followed your project with interest. Depends what price you would be looking for and of course the current stage of work.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

nathan

sorry to hear this, i hope you find time in the future to reignite your enthusiasm for the 116.  i also trust someone on the forum can carry forward your 6.9s progress!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

pal

Quote from: nathan on 25 May 2014, 11:12 AM
sorry to hear this, i hope you find time in the future to reignite your enthusiasm for the 116.  i also trust someone on the forum can carry forward your 6.9s progress!
regards
nathan

I haven't had any takers so far or any offers so Plan B is to get it through the MOT. I have a mechanic over today and we have a bunch of stuff to do, I will report back with pictures. Take care all!

jimmyricket

Pal I did drop you a private message, no response

pal

adamb

Just seen your posts, Pal. Sorry to hear that you are packing it in. If you can get the car through the MOT you can fetch a reasonable price for the car as 6.9 prices are definitely on the up compared to 2-3 years ago. I would love to take it on but I know that it's just unrealistic. I hardly have enough time to do the essentials on mine. The major jobs like steering recon and transmission oil leak aren't fixing themselves. Keep us in the loop on your actions.

pal

Some progress to report to get the car ready for the MOT.

On Saturday the car was completely emptied out, the replacement brake line and brake attached - brakes all working now
On Sunday the interior was sanded and rust treated - 3 areas of rust holes were found and I've arranged for a welder to fix as well as repair the doors and the front wings.

Everything out!

The picture above shows where there was a pad for the sunroof that was holding and hiding a bunch of rust - this took a while to clean up and sand apparently (I didn't do it myself)

In the drivers footwell there is a square of metal that needs to be cut out and replaced - the welder is doing that as well as the doors. There is one small hole nearby and the passenger footwell has one hole that is 3 inches long, all due to be fixed. You can see this below.

The back looks ok

The new brake line being installed (and now working)

Driver side footwell that needs welding

You can see the footwell rust clearly here that needs welding

An interesting addition which is a push button start option - currently in the engine bay, will be relocated to the dashboard and wired up fully. It starts on the button :-)

Its been rust treated and painted up inside - leaving the spots for welding so I will post up these pictures when I get them.

pal

Adam,  its a tough choice but I'm not in the UK much so its hard to justify keeping it on the drive as it is. I have had some more interest in recent days and I might even risk an ebay ad. I do plan to do a proper repair for the rust and get it through the MOT first tho.  The biggest jobs left are the interior and the respray as far as I can see. Good to hear from you and I hope all is well.
Best - Pal

Quote from: adamb on 02 June 2014, 04:13 PM
Just seen your posts, Pal. Sorry to hear that you are packing it in. If you can get the car through the MOT you can fetch a reasonable price for the car as 6.9 prices are definitely on the up compared to 2-3 years ago. I would love to take it on but I know that it's just unrealistic. I hardly have enough time to do the essentials on mine. The major jobs like steering recon and transmission oil leak aren't fixing themselves. Keep us in the loop on your actions.

pal

Quote from: nathan on 25 May 2014, 11:12 AM
regards
nathan

Thanks Nathan!

gavin116

Hi Pal

Nice to see you on the forum, pity about the circumstances.  After all the work you're doing, it would be a pity not to keep the 6.9.  Lets hope you have a change of heart.  (You still got the 350SEL?)

I'll be doing the MBCUK thing in full force in the next few weeks, will attend the Concourse day - observing only, not competing, and going to take my car to the S-Class day too a few weeks later.  Be nice to see some familiar faces there from our original Brooklands W116 day.

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

jimmyricket

I'll be at the s-class day, will be one of the photographers so looking forward to meeting you all

pal

Quote from: gavin116 on 04 June 2014, 03:06 AM
Hi Pal

Nice to see you on the forum, pity about the circumstances.  After all the work you're doing, it would be a pity not to keep the 6.9.  Lets hope you have a change of heart.  (You still got the 350SEL?)

I'll be doing the MBCUK thing in full force in the next few weeks, will attend the Concourse day - observing only, not competing, and going to take my car to the S-Class day too a few weeks later.  Be nice to see some familiar faces there from our original Brooklands W116 day.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, nice to hear from you. I still have the 350SEL and we have a bunch of work planed on it. The MBCUK sounds great, I'll let my dad know about the S-Class day to see if he wants to make it down.
WBW