6.9 repair underway - by east london hairy bloke.

Started by pal, 24 December 2011, 03:14 AM

pal

Thanks Dave, you are a gent.

Quote from: mirafioriman on 17 January 2012, 06:16 PM
Those lights look in great condition and as you are close I would go for those as you can save money by picking them up ;)

pal

No worries mate, I've got a few boxes of bits too - I will have a rummage about on Sat before I go back to Germany for a week.

Quote from: littlefin on 17 January 2012, 05:24 PM
Hi adamb
I don't suppose you have any rear seatbelts lurking in that parts car of yours?
You would not believe the quote I was given for a new set!
Sorry pal, we seem to be drifting off topic  :-[

pal

Thanks Adam, I'll send you a PM - or just text me your contact details on 07899 793 744. I am about until Sunday.
Let me know if you need any specific bits too.
Cheers

Quote from: adamb on 17 January 2012, 05:12 PM
I was taking some parts off the my 450SEL parts car today for somebody else on this forum and found this pic while uploading other photos. If, for some reason, you can't get lights from Dave (Mirafioriman), you are most welcome to these. I'm 15 or so miles away from you in Wapping,

adamb

Quote from: littlefin on 17 January 2012, 05:24 PM
Hi adamb
I don't suppose you have any rear seatbelts lurking in that parts car of yours?
You would not believe the quote I was given for a new set!
Sorry pal, we seem to be drifting off topic  :-[

Sorry, not fitted to this particular parts car.

pal

Its been an eventful and very cold few weeks - my mustache had ice on it!  The party tent I had survived the high winds but the snow was too much... it died! Thankfully it didn't ruin the welding work that was done.

The welder (Jason Williams 07740582910) was very professional and prompt - he turned up on time and worked very hard to cut out the rust and weld up.

Servo out and welded from outside:

Great guy Jason and very reasonable prices too.
I did put up a new tent, ready for any weather now - I'm off to get a space heater now since its bl**dy freezing in there :-) Still have ice on the floor....

KenM

Maximum points for effort there Pal, you are certainly working under some trying and cramped conditions by the look of it. I reckon you've done pretty well to get as far as you have.

Gerard

Yeah, fair play!  Thanks for all the inspiring photos. 

Many times I have bemoaned the lack of a good garage in getting things done.  This is not stopping you.  Major kudos to you!

Keep it up!

Gerard

pal

Thanks guys - hey Gerard as long as you don't mind what people think eh? People on my street think I'm having a party!  ;D

Gerard

Quote from: pal on 14 February 2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys - hey Gerard as long as you don't mind what people think eh? People on my street think I'm having a party!  ;D

Smoke and sparks eh??  Must be a party, you could tell them its a 40th!!  :D

WGB

Great stickability.

I have trouble working in my shed when the temp gets below 10 degrees celcius.

Mind you I have lived in Southern New Zealand and attempted welding at -20 degrees Celcius but not even the Oxy-acetylene could get you warm.

Bill

pal

Ha ha, thanks Bill - here in the UK (or the OOK as one of my buddies calls it) anything lower than a few degrees and everything stops working. Its what keeps England quaint and interesting.

KenM

Looks like you're either digging up bodies or hiding the evidence in your front 'yard' there Pal, surprised you haven't had the plod knocking on your tent to see what's going on   ;D

I once changed a compressor on a refrigerated container outdoors in -15 degrees and driving snow, was working with an English chap who got so pissed off with me complaining about the inhuman working

conditions that I was made an honorary Pom. At least the warm beer was cold enough though afterwards.

pal

He he he :-) thats funny,  nothing like a nice warm drink eh?
I managed to rub down and qrust treat the metal today and then treat it with rust beater.
Tomorrow a second coat of rust beater and then hopefully a final coat.

Quote from: KenM on 17 February 2012, 09:37 PM
Looks like you're either digging up bodies or hiding the evidence in your front 'yard' there Pal, surprised you haven't had the plod knocking on your tent to see what's going on   ;D

I once changed a compressor on a refrigerated container outdoors in -15 degrees and driving snow, was working with an English chap who got so pissed off with me complaining about the inhuman working

conditions that I was made an honorary Pom. At least the warm beer was cold enough though afterwards.

littlefin

Wow! I take my hat off to you pal. You've got some scary looking rust issues there.

At least the weather's getting warmer now and the days are getting longer.

Not long till the 3rd March...
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

pal

Thanks Littlefin, sadly the 6.9 wont be there but the 350SEL will - complete with rust and other issues.
Looking forward to it - strangely enough so are the rest of my family, I must have infected them or maybe they are hoping someone will buy the 350 off me  ;D