6.9 repair underway - by east london hairy bloke.

Started by pal, 24 December 2011, 03:14 AM

pal

Thanks s class - appreciate the encouragement. Looking through previous posts - its amazing how they all rust in the same places.

Quote from: s class on 28 December 2011, 05:55 AM
Well done with your progress.  Those new areas of rust you have identified are all standard W116 issues.

pal

I'll check out the SLS ball joint parts Bill, sounds like a good route - I'm hopeful, if the boot fits it will be great - will report back.

Quote from: WGB on 06 January 2012, 05:52 PM
In Australia it is possible to get those ball joints reconditioned but I think they are the same as the ball joint on the bottom of SLS struts so there should be a plentiful supply of usable ones available if that is so.

Congratulations on the work and yes I agree it is very worthwhile as there will not be many 6.9's in the UK soon.

The rust you have is standard W116 stuff as S-class says but we don't usually see this level of rust in Australia due to teh climate.

The upper suspension mount is often considered the final structural rust point and is the reason many cars are scrapped but it is actually stronger than it looks and your repairs should be quite adequate.

I think you are very brave doing it all in a tent in those temperatures but perservere and the rest of the journey should be easier.

Bill

pal

Cheers Adam, Since I started the repairs - I've really been enjoying it. Even my better half is glad I'm out of her way and busy with a hobby - she only complains if I ask her to use the dishwasher to clean parts (only lenses and plastics mind you) :-)
Your motor sounds like it had some serious rust, funny - the welder I'm hoping to use was saying that he's seen cars like mine where the sealer holds water and is the only thing left holding the car together in places after the underlying metal has rusted!

I'll checkout your other post although I've always been a bit shy of meets - I must be a bit insecure or something, but I'm afraid the 350SEL will get roasted by a bunch of anoraks - but I'll will try and make it down  ;D

Quote from: adamb on 07 January 2012, 12:29 PM
Hi pal,

Good luck with your repairs. They are worth doing and are not as bad. Our Australian and American cousins can't appreciate how much welding we tend to do to keep cars going in the UK. My 6.9 has to have boot floor sections replaced last year as part of the reconditioning. Moreover it looked fine before they started stripping rust away. My 450SEL parts car also looked fine but it is actually rotten as hell. You should bring your 350 to the meet (see my other post).

Cheers,
Adam

littlefin

Hi pal

You shouldn't worry about anoraks, by the posts so far there won't be enough attending to roast chestnuts!  ;)

Not being an anorak myself, I hadn't appreciated just how rare the 350SEL is. You should bring it along on the 3rd March. It would do her good = a quick blast round the M25???

I'm sorry to say the rust issue caught me out when I bought my 280SE last year. That factory underseal can hide a multitude of evil. I am having to have the outer sills replaced and the rear chassis legs repaired -  it's going to cost nearly as much as the car!   :o  :o

Hope to see you at Brooklands?
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

pal

Littlefin, yeah - you are right and I think it would be good to come down, its been so long since I've seen a W116 on the road so would be encouraging to see more - also good to share ideas too.
Sounds like you have a nice project there with the 280SE and it would be good to see - exactly the same issue I had on mine, inner and outer sills were shot.
Cheers! (heres hoping for chestnuts  ;D [size=78%])[/size]

Quote from: littlefin on 14 January 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi pal

You shouldn't worry about anoraks, by the posts so far there won't be enough attending to roast chestnuts!  ;)

Not being an anorak myself, I hadn't appreciated just how rare the 350SEL is. You should bring it along on the 3rd March. It would do her good = a quick blast round the M25???

I'm sorry to say the rust issue caught me out when I bought my 280SE last year. That factory underseal can hide a multitude of evil. I am having to have the outer sills replaced and the rear chassis legs repaired -  it's going to cost nearly as much as the car!   :o :o

Hope to see you at Brooklands?

pal

Hi Guys, just a quick question -
I'm just going through the car and noticed the headlight reflectors are a bit rusty and faded (red!)
I thought about paint but I've been advised that this is a really bad idea - hence the mod to the post  :D

Does anyone know a good source of re-silvering or perhaps reflectors from another model that might fit - maybe 126?

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

WGB

AFAIK the original 116 ones are still available new - for a price.

Bill

adamb

I once painted W123 reflectors as they were not doing much reflecting. This spoiled the pattern and failed an MOT. I replaced with new which was amazing. If you don't want to go for new I got used lights you can have or just look out on eBay as they come up frequently.

pal

mirafioriman

I have several W116 headlights. I need just one pair for my 6.9. I'm planning to sort through them when I get chance. From memory the reflectors are pretty good on at least some of them. I would sell a pair if you are interested?
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

pal

Yeah, that would be good - I've asked Merc how much for some new ones, so waiting to hear back. But otherwise yes, very interested.
If you can send me a text on 07899 793 744 with what you would want for them and I'll call you back at a suitable time.
Or if you are looking for some other 116 bits maybe we could do a swap?

Quote from: mirafioriman on 16 January 2012, 02:48 PM
I have several W116 headlights. I need just one pair for my 6.9. I'm planning to sort through them when I get chance. From memory the reflectors are pretty good on at least some of them. I would sell a pair if you are interested?

adamb

I was taking some parts off the my 450SEL parts car today for somebody else on this forum and found this pic while uploading other photos. If, for some reason, you can't get lights from Dave (Mirafioriman), you are most welcome to these. I'm 15 or so miles away from you in Wapping,

littlefin

Hi adamb
I don't suppose you have any rear seatbelts lurking in that parts car of yours?
You would not believe the quote I was given for a new set!
Sorry pal, we seem to be drifting off topic  :-[
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

mirafioriman

Those lights look in great condition and as you are close I would go for those as you can save money by picking them up ;)
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

pal

Got a call back from Anthony at Merc Leicester - the 116 reflectors are NLA! as a seperate part I can get a whole headlight from Merc but thats 400 odd quid and only one side is available anyway.  Interestingly when I rang my local Bosch dealer they said the part was NLA too!

Quote from: pal on 16 January 2012, 04:50 PM

Yeah, that would be good - I've asked Merc how much for some new ones, so waiting to hear back. But otherwise yes, very interested.
If you can send me a text on 07899 793 744 with what you would want for them and I'll call you back at a suitable time.
Or if you are looking for some other 116 bits maybe we could do a swap?

Quote from: mirafioriman on 16 January 2012, 02:48 PM