News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

6.9 courtesy light delay

Started by oscar, 18 January 2007, 10:20 PM

oscar

This is a cross over from Des' My 6.9 thread

re: lost highway, the movie.

I was looking up the movie last night after Des mentioned the 6.9 in it and found some interesting comments.  A David Lynch film!  No wonder it's weird.

Here's an interesting post from the mercedes in the movies website

Re black sedan Lost Highway all that can be discerned is � the car is a W116 L body fitted with 6.9 badging not the genuine article - vehicle appears to be originally a European delivery (speedo calibrated in km/h) - car does not have US spec head lamps � nor does it have euro spec headlamp wipers of 6.9 - under bonnet shot reveals a pushrod V8 in car other than a 116 series � (116 engine bays are body coloured also) - suspension height adjustment control/locking valve below speedo of 6.9s is absent - car is pre 1977 update when courtesy light delay (front only) was introduced � predating 6.9 introduction to US by 2 years - most tellingly speedo is calibrated to 240 km/h where the 6.9 was (uniquely) calibrated to 260 km/h - US 6.9s delivered with velour trim unless leather specified to special order only - veneer pattern of timber is not obvious but 6.9s should have a burr walnut not the straight grained zebrano of lower spec models - there are other external differences, e.g. tyre size, exhaust diameter and front air dam which could not be checked on the subject vehicle - polished finish to alloy road wheels and bright wheel arch mouldings are not factory items

Some interesting nit picking there but I was intrigued to hear about the "courtesy light delay".  Never heard anyone mention this before.  Has anyone got them and what are they, what do they do? 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

behrthermostat

Must be the interior lights with a delay in shut off even when the door is closed.  Helps the driver look for the key slot in the dark to start the car.  Just don't know if the lights shut off after a time delay or until the driver puts the key in the key slot and starts the car. 

Des

oscar

Is Behr correct?  Thanks too BTW Behr, that's kinda what I thought they might be but I didn't think about the ignition key slot being illuminated.

Des I was hoping you'd say what these courtesy lights are and what they do in your car if you got 'em.  Thanks for those links.

For the life of me I searched you tube last night and watched about 5 clips of the film but couldn't find the car scene.  Some of the clips though had me wanting to go see it. eg; Robert Blakes character talking to Bill Pullman's character at the party "I'm at your house right now, - go ahead call me"  That was a freaky scene.  But I trust everyone elses opinion and I think you'd have to be in the right mood to watch it.

Des

Quote from: oscar on 19 January 2007, 03:13 AM
Des I was hoping you'd say what these courtesy lights are and what they do in your car if you got 'em.  Thanks for those links.

Don't use the roof lights, always have them switched off in my cars, just find them annoying.

oscar

It's not surprising then to see this km/hr speedo with mph stickers.  After all, this is a French financed film.  I'm not sure whether that quote above in my first post is quite correct as this speedo may still be IMO a 6.9 speedo. eg; the gear change marks - only a I at 98 definitely and a II behind the 100mph sticker.  There's also enough room for a 260km/hr mark after the 240km/h mark.  IMO, the left is a 40km/hr mark with room for a 20km/h mark.

Another nit-pic,  watch the speedo as he acclerates, the tripmeter doesn't move, so this speedo isn't even connected to the car.

Des

didn't all 6.9's come out with electric windows?

it appears he winds the window down to flag the guy to pass.

Well my illusion of a 1400HP 6.9 is shattered,

:o

oscar

Hi styria

I should've started 2 threads, one about the movie and one about the delay in the courtesy lights.  I think that delay is a very neat feature.  We never had that in a car until we got a 99 ford wagon.  For Mercedes to put this into a car in the late 70's is very cool.

I think it could be possible to solder in a few components to make the 350 do the same.  Who's really good with electronics around here that could design me a simple circuit.  I think a capacitor and a linear constant current chip thingy perhaps a resistor or two.  Anyone know what I'd need?

nathan

heh Oscar,
the delay on the 6.9 is in my opinion, a little long!  Des might back me up, but in 123s, its shorter in time frame and more suitable...theres something irritating about leaving a friends house at night and going to wave bye bye only to see your damn illuminated ugly mug in the window coz the delay is on for this time frame! (even if i am a handsome individual !)
im sure jaycar has a cheap kit which isnt too difficult to put together
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

oscar

thanks fellas.  No need to work it all out if a kit's available.  A fade out is what I thought they'd do and is what I'd like and also an over ride by way of ignition on or headlights.

Are any of your said delay lights deactivated by anything other than the time delay. eg ignition on etc.

Papalangi

On my '76 US spec 450SEL, only the front light comes on with the front doors and it times out after both doors have been closed for about 15 seconds or so.  I think its done with a relay.

This guy was publishing how-to's but figured out he could make more money selling ready made items.
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

oscar

Thanks Papa, thats a great link

The light delay has ignition override

The DLD Dome Light Dimmer Module (Theatre Lighting) is used to control the interior lights of your car.  After you close the door, the lights will stay on for about 20 seconds, then gradually dim to off.  An additional feature of the module is the ignition override function.  If the car is running, the unit goes directly into dimming mode (no delay) so you don't have to drive away with the lights on.$39.95  That's not what happens in a 6.9 does it ie text in bold?

But this I want too. Can you imagine sequential turn signals?  Very possible on a 116 8)

If you have two or more turn signal filaments on each side of your car, you can add the STS-1 Sequencer Kit and really indicate your intentions.
If your car has combination stop/turn signal lamps, these modules will sequence the turn and emergency flashers only.  The brake lights operate normally!  However, if you want the brake lights to sequence too, these modules will do it.  Your Choice!
Installation takes about an hour, and for most cars, only basic hand tools are required!

STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals,  $69 ..........     

oscar

Have you ever seen those older US cars in Oz that didn't quite make collector status and have been neglected but put back on the road with homemade modified indicators? Eg-they'll have the standard setup but to comply with roadworthiness in their new life as a daily driver POS, the owners have put trailer indicators screwed to the sides of the bodies and boot. Very unattractive.  :D

I think the W116 would have to have clear lenses to start with, then what - there's 5 globes I think, and Aussies only use 4.  With coloured globes I think this could be a possibility.  The clear lense the only hiccup.  Stay tuned though.  Later this year I'm going to try and cast clear front indicator lenses.  When that works out really well, which it will do.  I'll try and recast clear rears.  Start holding your breath folks. ;)

Des

Oscar, clear front indicators would be good, I would buy a set if they looked nice,

you can get them for W123's and W126's but haven't found anyone that sells them for our cars,

ether the smoked look like these:

Or outright clear like this would be nice, I personally think the bright orange indicators on the front are too much in contrast to the paint, unless your car is orange

oscar

They do look good.  I don't mind the amber indicators but it's one of those things I'd like to change.  Even if it was just the front.  I looked into it last year and came across some Aussie suppliers for clear resin casting and the product I had in mind was UV stable.  Unfortunately the stuff is expensive and chances of a few throw aways is high.  I can understand now why even some mass produced lenses command a relatively high price.

http://www.barnes.com.au/ This shop I was looking at buying from.  My favourites folder that has all the links I looked up is on a different computer but I was looking at either a polyurethane water clear or resin crystal clear.   There was a really good PDF on one of the pages that compared shore hardness, cure time, UV stability and a few other things.  I'm trying to remember the names but it'll be an interesting project and I'd love to share a few around if things run smoothly.  I was thinking of making latex lined plaster moulds and I've yet to mentally work thru the setting of the screws and how to introduce the resin to the mould, plus vacuum attachment. Like I said, hold your breath  ;)