News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

6.9 courtesy light delay

Started by oscar, 18 January 2007, 10:20 PM

koan

6.9s have the (way too long) interior light delay and a raucous sounding buzzer as a head
light reminder. If park or head lights are left on and driver's door opened and key removed from ignition it sounds off. I think the buzzer and interior delay might be the same module.

I'd like to try rebuilding 116 tail lights with leds, not just the led replacement globes but many individual leds but the lens being designed for a lamp source makes it a bit difficult.

On the orange indicators, "the wife"s Peugeot has clear lenses and pained bulbs.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

bahnstormer109

My 72 300SEL has a delay on the courtesy light, but my 79 450SEL does not. should it? or was this just a 6.9 thing?
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

bahnstormer109

Thanks styria, ill investigate.

all 107s, 116s and 123s onwards have the buzzer for the headlights.  id say it first appeared on 107s or 116s, and every benz has had it since.

if you turn on your headlights with no key in the ignition and the door open youll hear it. its very irritating, but very helpful. if its not there its either broken or drove someone insane and they rippied it out in a fit of hysteria.

my 280SEL didnt have a delay on the courtesy light, though either, is it a feature of all 116s or just 450s?
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Des

its interesting I have a 1977 230 that has no mention of it in the owners manual, no buzzer with the lights on and the doors open,

I used to have a 1982 230E that had this useful feature.

I would imagine it is something introduced after 1977?

AMG69

hmmm, PB, I guess there is - I also have two keys; my ignition barrel is from a W126 series (replaced two years ago after original barrel got stuck.

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

koan

Quote from: styria on 25 January 2007, 12:58 PM

Whilst I am not sure, I seem to recall that the warning buzzer unit is incorporated in the instrument cluster ? Maybe someone can clarify this. Styria

You might be right about that styria, I have a couple of old instrument clusters, one has a little tin box, the other doesn't and the 6.9 has it. I'll check it out, photos even.

What I posted before about interior light delay and buzzer being the same box is most likely garbage.

koan

koan

sytria you are correct, the warning buzzer is incorporated into the instrument cluster, it is the small tin box mounted on the back of the fuel/oil/water section.

the 280 cluster I have has the buzzer but the 450 cluster does not.

i attempted to take pictures with a 2 mega pixel phone cam but the results were very poor, I'll try again with a "real" camera.

the 2 flat pins of the buzzer are twisted and then soldered to the circuit board making it hard to remove without damaging the board.

koan

oscar

I'm learning a lot from this thread but I'm confused.  I went back to when the word buzzer is first mentioned and I'm not sure whether the buzzer feature is;
a 6.9 thing,
a later W116 thing,
or a standard feature we should all have?   

Am I to assume the 280's and 450's mentioned with buzzers have clusters with later enhancements or are they factory?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Quote from: oscar on 26 January 2007, 07:29 AM

I'm not sure whether the buzzer feature is;
a 6.9 thing,
a later W116 thing,
or a standard feature we should all have?   

Certainly not a 6.9 only thing as the spare clusters I have are defiantly not 6.9.

Not a thing everyone should have as one of the clusters I have has no provision for it.

Most likely it is a later 116 thing.

I think I know what the spare clusters are from but could be wrong.

Is it possible only some markets got the buzzer?

How's your A/C going oscar?

koan

WGB

My 450 SEL has one because on rare occasions it works - usually doesn't but occasionally it does.

Seems to be Lights on + ignition key out + Door open.

There are pictures of a buzzer in the workshop manual and there it is described as being at the top of the brake pedal but it may not be the one for the lights specifically as it is USA Spec.

Bill

oscar

Thanks guys.

Quote from: koan on 26 January 2007, 04:57 PM
How's your A/C going oscar?

Hi Koan,

The 350 is still at the workshops, so no news on the a/c and I still haven't received a bill for the hr12 either.
1973 350SE, my first & fave