News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

6.9 AMG - audio system

Started by s class, 10 October 2009, 01:46 PM

s class

My red 6.9 was originally delivered with a Becker Mexico Vollstereo Autoreverse.  This is the later black face mexico, model 374.  This is confirmed by the build card, and the owners manual for such a radio amongst the documents I got with the car.  Most interestingly, the car was also equipped with the VK5 Verkerskurier analague traffic data system.  The VK5 unit was originally installed on an auxiliary burl panel, adjacent to the gearshift panel, in the oddments tray area.  At some point in the past (I would say early '80's) all this Becker stuff including the VK5 was removed, and replaced by a Blaupunkt which must have been expensive at the time.  Evidence of the VK5 can be seen from the fact that the carpet inlay in the oddments tray is about 100mm too short (to allow for the extra wood), and holes for the cables in the bottom of the oddments tray. 

Ordinarily, it would be an easy decision to return the car to its original as-delivered state, but this car has many modifications, most of which I believe are AMG's doing.  It had concerned me that the radio replacement might have been AMG's doing, and this was reinforced when I had contact with Stefan in Germany (owner of the spectacular zypressen 6.9).  In addition to the green car, he has an astral silver 6.9 which is a confirmed, genunine AMG, and it has the same Blaupunkt radio as mine.....

THe installation of this radio was combined with this equipment below the steering column which appears to be a graphic equaliser.  There are large speakers in the rear parcel shelf, but their installation is poor, and the recovered parcel shelf is poor - far too poor to have been done by AMG.  So who knows?

I recently had a chance to acquire a complete 374 plus VK5 setup on ebay.de - so I couldn't resist.  It is complete with amp and all cabling - nothing is cut.  THe auction included the super-hard to get wood panel for the VK5 - and in burl too - how lucky can one be?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

I should also mention that the Blaupunkt installation presently in the car does not work at all.

Apart from the cosmetics of the radio itself, all the equipment is in a pretty good condition.  The wood panelling is not so perfect, but it is at least better than the coffee table....

The radio ideally needs a new faceplate and nobs to be really smart.  I was surprised to find that the cassette mechanism works well, including the autoreverse.  THe tuner I'm not sure yet.  I will play more with it this week.  In any case, the radio is the easiest part to find on ebay if this one is a no-go. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

That's a nice buy.

The faceplate and knobs were still available from Konigs last time I looked.

I bought a faceplate from Soundlabs here in AUS but I can't find them on the website but knobs and push buttons are there.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

Thanks koan.

Face plate :
Link

Knobs :
Link

This would also brighten it up nicely :
Link

WGB

The equaliser under the dash looks like a clarion from the early 80's. Very fashionable addition at the time and the one I had (probably still have in the depths of the shed somewhere) had a very usable amp built in as well.

I would imagine the Blaupunkt of that era would have been quite ouitstanding at the time as well.

I am interested in the AMG logo in the gear selector window on the dashboard.

Is it a decal that is stuck on externally or is it a logo inside the little "window".

I have a pinstripe becker in my car (which looks great and not out of place to me ) but have another spare pinstripe, as well as a correct black one - as spares - if originality ever becomes important.

Even though the traffic system is unusable it will restore the car to original spec as well as fill the void in the console trim.

The old Becker's still have quite reasonable FM reception and sound and it is easy easy to add ipod compatibilty and modern amps and speakers.

What is difficult is getting a sub-woofer installation  that works - practically and aesthetically.

Without one it is hard to get modern sound quality even though the old Becker is quite acceptable as a front end.

Both my ML's have the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system and forgetting the trick electronics and speaker placement the biggest contributor to the sound quality and depth has to be the compact subwoofer that fits under the front passenger seat.

Bill

s class

Bill, the AMG logo is an engraved plate of ?aluminium? stuck to the outside of the binnacle. 

Thanks for the info about the 80's sound equipment.  Basically, I almost never drive the car, so th esound quality is absolutely a non-issue.  My quandry is whether to fix up the current Blaupunkt installation, or go back to the factory delivered arrangement.  Right now, I favour the latter, unless someone persuades me that the Blaupunkt is somehow correct for an AMG-modded car. 

In anycase, any changes I make will be reversable in case further info comes to light in the future. 

I do like the pinstripe mexicos, though to me the black face 374 looks more appropriate in the later spec 6.9s particularly.  I have a pinstripe unit that will be going into the blue car - as per its original spec, being an early '76. 

It seems that the 374 may be better suited to 'modernising' than the pinstripe, because it seems that the aux DIN input on the rear (intended for the VK5) is in fact stereo.  374s tend to sell for less than pinstripe units, so if I can get a CD player to play successfully into that (apparently) stereo input, I will probably look for another 374 for my 280SE.  The 280SE, being a daily driver, I'm prepared to sacrifice some originality for convenience. 

WGB

I must have a look for that DIN input as I have both sitting on the shelf.

I agree the black face is correct but I have a spare one of those anyway if needed.

Bill

TJ 450

I wouldn't have thought that Blaupunkt to be original as it looks like a mid to late 80's design with the rounded-off appearance of the controls.

I think you are making a brilliant choice installing the Becker Mexico with VK5, "s class".  8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gustavo

Hello, i'm wondering if someone knows where i can find this Radio and the VK5. My 6.9 came from factory with this Radio and the VK5, but unfortunally is not there anymore...

djenka018

Quote from: gustavo on 27 October 2013, 02:26 AM
Hello, i'm wondering if someone knows where i can find this Radio and the VK5. My 6.9 came from factory with this Radio and the VK5, but unfortunally is not there anymore...

I got one of these for sale, but it is stereo only on cassette, not on FM, as models sporting "cassette" sign. Nearly identical in appearance as pics above. please check the difference here
If you're interested, I will have it checked for functionality, capacitor-serviced (replace all the electrolytic capacitors) and upload some pictures so that you can judge the condition suitability.

All these radios had separate amp fitted in the foot well on left hand side (for RHD cars) and replacing the amp for a more powerfull unit would be a matter of connections
Vitamin C for SL... the SLC

harrycarry250

My 6.9 has the Traffic data system aswell. In addition to that system being non-functional(understandable), the radio itself does not work...

Are these units repairable? I hope so.
1976 240D 4 SPD
1978 450sel 6.9 Euro
1979 450sel 6.9 Euro
1981 300D
1984 300TD
1986 500SEC Euro
1993 500E
2004 S55

mswcpt

These people do sales and repairs of vintage Becker audio systems: http://www.beckerautosound.com They also provide speaker upgrades and modern systems with vintage look that have mp3, iPod and USB facilities.