Main Menu

450SEL"restoration".

Started by TJ 450, 23 December 2009, 11:40 AM

WGB

That dash sure looks great.

Great job and thanks for the photos.

Bill

TJ 450

The dash remains unrestored, but the general appearance is like new until you get right up close. The wood is very nice.

I might restore the dash if there is a next time that it comes out. I'll be using it as daily driver until my 126 is on the road.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Making very fast progress there Timbo.

Lookin' good.

Dash is in great nic for sure.

You might have already mentioned this, but are you replacing all the wiring / vacuum lines etc etc.. in the process?

Cam.

TJ 450

Cheers for the comments. 8)

The vacuum lines rarely need replacing inside the car, but the ones that go to the doors can fatigue through constant use of the doors... I hadn't actually thought about that, but I think they will be fine.

The vacuum fittings and lines under the dash are no problem, as all the rubber connectors are accessable with the dash in place anyway.

The wiring remains original at the moment. The reason I've left the driver's side in a shambles, is that I will indeed need to go through the wiring and double check that my previous repairs are suitable.

When I got the car, there was a mess of molten insulation due to shorts and the brake lights weren't working. That was one of the first repairs I did.

Someone had previously removed the "conduit", or loom containing device that runs from the fuse box to the lateral frame behind the dash. Not a good thing, because the parking brake mechanism rubs against the wiring.  :o I'll have to do something about that.

Anyway, here's a status update...

There is no sound deadening material yet, as that will be a separate exercise.

Also, the centre console wood panel is slightly skewhiff, something that I'll need to rectify.

Of course, all the heater flaps now work. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500