News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

450 SEL - VERY UNIQUE INTERIOR - need advice

Started by zdagher, 09 September 2009, 03:03 AM

zdagher

Thanks to everyone for all the responses! If anyone has any other observations/comments on what you see, they would be most welcome.

Koan: I guess it could be used as a coat hook if you pull it down. Don't know if that's intentional. It's actually the sunroof handle. You pull it down and twist 180 degrees to unlock, then pull toward the front of the car to open. And the knobs in the rear doors are indeed lighters.

pompy: I had the car fully repainted at the same time I had the seat covers installed. I don't recall the name of the color, but it was as close to the factory color as I could get it. They did an excellent job.

I also forgot to mention that there are reading lamps in the rear on either side, between the rear doors and the rear windshield. I don't know if this was standard on these cars, but they've always struck me as being a nice touch. And as somebody already mentioned, the rear seats are heated (no longer functional).

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I believe that only the 6.9 came with the hydraulic suspension as a standard feature. This car had this feature when I bought it, but I have since removed it because it was causing so many problems. The steering column lever for the suspension is still there though. And it's still a very smooth ride.

Here's a picture of the engine:

Anything that jumps out at you as non-standard?

One last thing: the car has automatic door locks that work on some kind of pneumatic system. When the driver's door is unlocked, all the other locks slowly slide up. Is this common?

koan

Quote from: zdagher on 10 September 2009, 02:51 AM
I guess it could be used as a coat hook if you pull it down. Don't know if that's intentional. It's actually the sunroof handle. You pull it down and twist 180 degrees to unlock, then pull toward the front of the car to open. And the knobs in the rear doors are indeed lighters.

Ahhh... I see.

I thought it might be for a sunroof because of roof lining join but couldn't see a rear sunroof. What I though was a rear shot over the roof is in fact from the front showing the sunroof at the rear.

One last thing: the car has automatic door locks that work on some kind of pneumatic system. When the driver's door is unlocked, all the other locks slowly slide up. Is this common?

Beautifully smooth central locking, wonderful isn't it? Common across all models.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

I would think your car had so-called SLS - which means that the front springs are conventional, while the rear is a combination of hydraulics and springs.  I think this was standard on 450's and optional on 350's and 280's.  The 6.9 has a different system which is entirely hydraulic - no springs at all. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

CraigS

I would make contact with these guys - http://www.lineaveloce.com/

Even though it says Canada, he is actually in Beirut. I can't recall his name, but he is reputable, and knows his way around cars. I thought I had his contact details, but can't find them at the moment. There is an email address on the web site though.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

CraigS

Do you have the data card for the car ? Ifnot, you should request it from Mercedes to see if you can verify that the appointments were built by Mercedes.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

scraf

Having to drive with three fighting children in the back seat I would sell my back teeth to have one of those glass partitions.

Very nice car !

alabbasi

Quote from: Hemersam on 09 September 2009, 10:25 AM
Absolutely great photos; thanks for sharing them. What  a car!  And what a great place to seat your mother-in-law and cranky sister!
Hemersam   ::)

James, that was the funniest thing that i've heard in ages.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

1974450SEL

zdahger, my compliments to you on one beautiful and very unique 116!  That car is in a league of its own with those amenities.  It really looks like it came from the factory with all that in it. 

1974450SEL

That 116 is in a league of its own! Great car and all the interior mods look like they came from the factory!

Big_Richard

Quote from: another sad 280s on 10 September 2009, 02:18 AM
it would have to be in the same league as a 6.9 price wise wouldn't it

i would think that its worth more - 6.9's aren't actually as rare as the sellers make them out to be ;)

Martin 280s

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 12 September 2009, 08:35 PM
Quote from: another sad 280s on 10 September 2009, 02:18 AM
it would have to be in the same league as a 6.9 price wise wouldn't it

i would think that its worth more - 6.9's aren't actually as rare as the sellers make them out to be ;)

I've being saying that for ages to the Brazilian crowd...pity they seem to think otherwise!

dsantamans

Very interesting your car.  I have send you a PM.

Looks identical to two of my 6.9, colour is also 931 magnetitblau, 902 blue velour, rear mechanical sunroof (under code 992 here), but my cars are armoured and without the partition window.

David

flutes

I know this is an old thread - but I do enjoy looking at the photos of this car.  The drink in my hand would taste so much better were I sipping it the back of one of these.

@zdagher - any update on the car?  Have you sold it yet?
Matt
1977 450SEL

Zuendfolge

really great car!
I would say also that this is an original car built by Mercedes.

You could offer it to the classic center in Stuttgart, maybe they have some interest!

Or why don't you keep it, it sort of belongs in Lebanon doesn't it?
I always like to see lebanon on TV, not just because of all the nice Mercedes ;-)

Is it a nice holiday country?

Take care!

450SE 1977, The Netherlands

zdagher

sorry, posted by mistake