News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

450 SEL - VERY UNIQUE INTERIOR - need advice

Started by zdagher, 09 September 2009, 03:03 AM

zdagher

I own a 1978 450 SEL. The interior is very unique. The front and rear are separated by a divider window, and there are two separate air conditioners (front and rear). The rear air conditioner vents are routed through a mini fridge. The door of the fridge opens against the rear bunk, creating a small table with cup holders and the fridge itself fits 2 large bottles. The radio can be controlled from the rear, and the sunroof is in the rear. I was told that it was custom built for a Saudi prince by the person who sold it to me in 1985.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I can post photos if anyone is interested. It is in very good condition, and I am looking to sell it, but have no idea what it's worth.

koan

Quote from: zdagher on 09 September 2009, 03:03 AM
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I can post photos if anyone is interested. It is in very good condition, and I am looking to sell it, but have no idea what it's worth.

Sounds like an interesting car.  I'd suggest you post all the pictures you possibly can, then post some more. They will be well received.

Where are you located?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

It sounds very interesting.

Some pictures would be great. As far as market value is concerned, it would depend a lot on who did the conversion, etc.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

The central divider and rear sunroof were options available from the factory, though they are not commonly seen.  

Please can you take a lot of pictures for us - we would love to see this.  To get the best price for this car, I suggest you would need to sell it in Germany (if it is LHD) , and advertise it with a lot of good photos, highlighting the uniqueness.  

If it is RHD, I might be interested.....

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

zdagher

here are some photos (sorry about the large file sizes):

I'm located in Lebanon.

s class

Awesome.  I see it has heated rear seats as well.  Thanks very much for providing the photos.  Very nice. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Martin 280s

Wow, what an unusual car. She'd make any w116 fan proud!

Are those just velour covers over the rear seats?

another sad 280s

the wood, vents and all the controls tend to suggest that it was done by mercedes or at least done using mercedes parts. strange that it doesn't have the curtains given location and specs

zdagher

another sad 280s: I removed the curtains a few years ago because they were falling apart.

Martin 280s: yes, they're just covers. I had them installed about 10 years ago because the original material covering the seats was starting to show some wear.

Big_Richard

awesome car and beautiful scenery.

I have seen the partition panel and rear manual sunroof in the parts database, but have never until today seen what it looks like for real.

Thank you sir for these photos.

Hemersam

Absolutely great photos; thanks for sharing them. What  a car!  And what a great place to seat your mother-in-law and cranky sister!
Hemersam   ::)

Big_Richard

in answer to your value question, to get the most for this car, you'd need to advertise it on German EBay. Partition panel w116's are extremely rare and a good original untouched one like this even more so.

Its a shame its not here, I would love to see that car in person.

koan

Is that a coat hook in the rear roof section?

What are the knobs in the rear door trims, cigar(ette) lighters?

Great unique vehicle.

Thanks for the pictures.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

pompy

Man, what a car!

Love the colour too - Royal blue, is it?

another sad 280s

it would have to be in the same league as a 6.9 price wise wouldn't it