News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

350SE speaker replacement

Started by chazchuzzlewitt, 04 May 2006, 04:27 PM

chazchuzzlewitt

Hello, my first post on this forum having just aquired a 1980 350SE after searching for a while. She has some rust issues and a leaky sunroof, but generally solid and interior is good.
Anyway, I have the version with the front speakers in the lower part of the dash as was wondering how the grilles come off. Also, does anyone know what sizes they and the rears are?

cheers.

Nutz

Phillips screwdriver on the bottom side of the cover. They are 4" speakers.

chazchuzzlewitt

thanks, pretty obvious I guess but wanted to check first! The fronts from what I can see are held in by 4 screws- I presume the only way to get to the top 2 is to remove the wood trim?

BAR

Front speakers will be removed without the removal of wood trim.  Just look carefully and you will see the top 2 screws.

There is a 'factory' connector about 6-8" from the speaker that you can disconnect and take the speaker away.

I suggest that, if you are replacing the original speakers, you take care to desolder the wire from the original speakers and use this on the replacement items.

From my vague recollection, one needs to remove the parcel shelf in order to remove the rear speakers. 

In my case, I went for a newer design, larger speaker and separate tweeter unit.  This necessitated the purchase of a mounting board, premade and precut oval shaped box, that accomodated the new 7" speaker and the tweeter.  It was covered in vynyl and I painted it to match the colour of the carpet on the parcel shelf.

Do this gave me clearance to place the larger speaker in the rear without cutting into the bodywork.

Enjoy!

Nutz

Here's what I did in my 76 450SE and have since fixed the "wrinkles" around the speakers to give whomever some ideas. 100 times better sound quality but did involve a little cutting.

oscar

I just did my speaker upgrade and I'm happy but a little underwhelmed as I was expecting a little more bass. 

All sony x-plod speakers. 4" inch 2-way fronts and 6.5" 3-way rear.  All connected to my recently acquired Becker Monza.  The original fronts had only lower screws attached and so the replacements only got those too.  I don't know how I would've accessed the two top screws had they been there.  The rears needed some carpet cut to make the speakers fit flush.  My only other gripe would be that the rear covers don't look attractive at all and another upgrade/enhancement with amp and woofers and sub down the track is definitely on the cards.  Also I have to replace that rear parcel carpet which was copper coloured, now faded to white and falling apart.  I like Nutz's vinyl app and would like to do something similar.

Of all the Becker research I've done, I didn't realise this unit would be a mono FM/stereo cassette radio.  My Ipod plays thru a cassette adaptor I already had and plays stereo.  The sound is clear and crisp but I would prefer a bit more bass.  The idea was to have the ipod play thru the 6pin din aux adapter which I is useless as I believe it's mono as well.  Other than that I had to pull apart the radio, replace a globe, drive band, tuner cord and give it a good clean and lube.  The unit itself works great and the sound was fantastic thru my hifi speakers in my shed.

Old AWA AM only radio

Becker Monza replacement

Rear speaker

1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

I hadnt realised the Monza was mono either - the Mexico of the same vintage is stereo ofcourse; interesting!

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Hi ChrisM,

God I wish I had burlwood.  If ever I get a 6.9 that's a must. 

The stereo light above the volume knob lets one know that the radio is stereo as well.  Sometimes a red light next to the green light indicates a stereo radio as in some Europa II's.  My "stereo" on the cassette door only refers to the cassette unfortunately.  You live and learn.  One day I'll get a mexico and make a little profit from the Monza or at least get my money back ($180).  I still have to work out my AUX option.  I'll be happy if I can get stereo thru that.  Your AUX ipod connection would've had an extra pin.

oscar

Quote from: styria on 06 July 2006, 01:17 PM
Hi Oscar, you may not need to fret regarding the timber sliding console-I have a spare unit in Zebrano that presently is under offer to BAR for $80.00. He has first choice, but may not take me up on it. Let me know if you are interested. I would, or should, also have an ashtray in matching Zebrano. Regards, Styria

Gee whiz, another carrot dangling before me.  I'm not sure Styria,,,,, maybe  ???  IMHO, Burl looks great.  Not only better than my black vinyl but better than Zebrano too.  Hence when I step up a model, burl's a must.  I have thought about getting the rest of the zebrano to fit out the interior including the gearknob.  Where does one stop though?  Have you seen these before?

A mere $175AUD.

I'll hold off for the moment.  I have to pull the console one day to see to the A/c, exchanger, microswitches, blah blah.... Basically whatever's behind the dash.  But that's not my next concern.  If I do go ahead with an all zebrano outfit I'll ask first to see what you've got.  I'll admit that Zebrano looks better than black vinyl.

oscar

Gee whiz styria, this does sound tempting.  I'm sure I'd have the only early model 350 with that much burl.  My only concern would be the cutouts for window switches, fader etc.  If you didn't already know, everything in my car apart from the AT is manual, including the windows.  We'll see what transpires as the parts become available.  Thanks for the offer.

OzBenzHead

G'day, Oscar!   If you didn't buy the Zebrano instrument pod, would you mind sharing the eBay item number for that one, please?  I browsed, but didn't find it.

BTW: Anyone notice the ROLEX clock? How rare is that?
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

OzBenzHead

On further looking, I found benzwood.com, but the prices do not tally with that quoted above.  Hmmm ...
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Hi OBH.  Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140002317415&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I wasn't bidding on this one just watching out of curiosity, but the $172AUD seems affordable.   Despite the uniqueness of the Rolex inclusion I don't know whether I'd want to do away with my tacho.  The bidding ended before I posted the pic sorry.  

I watch a lot of 116 stuff to see what it goes for.  The listing is in German and had it not been for the Rolex factor this one would've gone by the way side.  It'd be interesting to know what is listed about the "jewels" around the numbers.  I'm sure they're not diamonds.