News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

2K high gloss clearcoat

Started by marku, 03 December 2017, 01:54 PM

marku

Just used this and what a difference. All the trouble I have had using cellulose. Perhaps the high gloss was a mistake and should have gone for gloss as the comparison with the cellulose panels makes them look poor. Was rather put off using it as spoke to someone who had used it, and perhaps put to thick a coat on, any way it was still soft two weeks later. Always understood that it need baking?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

Yes, 2K needs baking to harden and gas off properly. It's also quite sensitive to correct proportions of material to hardener. Give it to much, and it'll bubble up, crack and worst case even flake off. Give it too little, and it'll never harden.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

s class

2K does not necessarily need baking.  There are various formulas out there, some are designed to catalyse and cure in ambient temperatures, some are designed for forced (oven) drying, others catalyse on exposure to a flash of UV light. 

2K that is still soft after 2 weeks was under-catalysed, or the catalyst was old, or the wrong reducer was used. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

When we painted my blue 6.9, the paint was just mixed as per the instructions and hardening was never an issue, but it did get parked out in the sun on a few hot days just in case. The paint was by DuPont and was just the 903 blue non metallic.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

marku

Well I had no trouble and as I said the gloss was fantastic like water in fact I thought it a bit over the top. I only got a small amount to try but will definitely get some more. Not quite original though is it. That's one reason I went with cellulose.

marku

Saved -  I thought that as it was such a great finish I would use the 2K over some cellulose I had done. And then a little voice said why not check first that it is compatible. Usually I don't do that and just think what a great idea and go ahead and guess what it is most definitely not compatible. The cellulose really reacts with the 2K so looks like I wont be doing it.

alabbasi

Just read the back of the can and it will tell you everything you need to know. There are usually 3 sets of hardeners (slow medium and fast) to be used depending on what the outside temp is. Baking is useful for production shops but as the paint chemically hardens, it's not required unless you want to roll the car out of the booth and paint another one in 30 minutes.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

marku

Well I am very good at not reading instructions and only do so find out why I have caused such a disaster.

alabbasi

Then don't worry about it, it will turn out great :)
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

marku

No too many expletives when I find out what I have done - and of course what it is going to take to put it right.