News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

280s v 280se

Started by verteuil99, 11 July 2011, 11:34 AM

verteuil99

Hi
Could someone tell me the difference in spec between a 280s and a 280se ? ( interior trim spec )
thanks

Type17

I doubt that there is a difference in the interior between the two specs - the E stands for Einspritzung (german for Fuel Injection) - the S has a carburettor, the SE has Bosch D-jetronic injection (up to '75) or K-jetronic ('76-on).
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

verteuil99

thanks for the info. I have just been offered a 1973 280se. The car looks fantastic and the body work excellent. The seats appear to be synthetic so not sure how comfortable on a hot day!
It has been difficult to find prices on the web to make sense of what to offer for the vehicle. Any ideas?
I am looking forward to joining the W116 set!

thanks

Type17

If the seats aren't cloth or leather, then they are MB-Tex, a Mercedes vinyl which is very durable.

What country are you in - this will influence the value of the car (and the currency it should be discussed in).
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

WGB

Without any fuel contamination issues - the fuel injected motor was generally more powerful and caused fewer problems as there have always been issues with the carburetor used in the 280S model.

M-B tex (hot day problems aside) is a good option to have when the cars are older.

Cover them with sheepskin covers or suchlike if they are too hot.

Bill

WiSeGuYY

hey BILL , i have my 126 s for the last 21 years had no problem with the carb ( i remember once they had to change it ) solex as far as i know, now i got 116 with same engine but injection se so glad to hear your review.

REGARDS

TAREK

verteuil99

Hey Thanks for the advice Guys.
I am due to see the car day after tomorrow. I am in the Uk ( re: the value of the car )
Will post images if I buy. It has a sun roof with wind deflector. No rear belts or rear head rest ( guess standard for 1973 ) Body work look immaculate - Stored since 1990 !

WiSeGuYY

sound yammy , good luck

WGB

Best of luck with looking the car over.

Just watch for stale petrol or water in the fuel of a stored car.

If you are happy and purchase the car either drain the tank or else at least put a litre of  alcohol (Methylated spirits or whatever the local substitute is - due to it's toxicity to humans whatever  is labelled as meths is usually Ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol)  into teh tank to absorb anty water.

Bill