News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

280 SE interior makeover

Started by carl888, 29 December 2007, 07:55 AM

carl888

Hi again s class,

I found some other pics that my be of interest as they show part of the dash, you can see them here:

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/carl308888/Mercedes-Benz%20280%20SE%20W116/?start=120

Hope that helps till I can take some close ups. 

Regards,

Carl.

s class

Thanks Carl.  Sorry I wasn't meaning to offend by asking if the dash had been painted.

This car is truly a reference for those of us doing restorations. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

carl888

Hi s class,

Hey, no problem, I wasn't getting funny about it, just that I have had soooooooo many private emails about that interior and what's been replaced!  Just to set the record straight from what I know. 

The car was delivered in 1974 in Melbourne and has had two prior owners before me.  The last owner who had the car from 1979 till 2006 stated he "Hated" armor all!  Anyone that cleaned the bottom of the car with a tooth brush I thought should know!  (Have you seen the pics of the underside..that's how I bought the car)  I am pretty sure that that's the reason all the vinyl looks so nice, and matte.  Additionally, the car was always garaged, which is why the carpet and trim that's exposed looks so nice.  IMO, armor all should only be put on tyres.

I showed the car to an ex Lanes Motors Melbourne (Mercedes-Benz Dealer here for a long time where the car was delivered) and he stated that the dash and trim was exactly has he remembered them. 

From what I can tell, the interior has had the following work performed:

1978..replacement of radio (And subsequent butchery as per pics)
1980..repainting of centre console (Badly)
1981..installation of security system (Now removed)
1985..installation of third brake light (Now removed)

Apart from those things, I can't find any evidence of bits being replaced at all.  If you are chasing pics of anything besides the dash, do let me know.  I also received a comprehensive history file on the car along with all the documentation from delivery, including the original warranty certificate, data card etc.  I can scan all this for you if you like.       

Regards,

Carl.

WGB

Thank you Carl for taking the time and effort to document all this.

I do like your DIY bracket.

Bill

s class

Interesting that the console was repainted so early in its life. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

carl888

Thanks Bill, let's hope it does the trick.  I'm up to about 40 hours in the interior so far and I hopeI've found the last of the damage......

s class...yes, it is odd that it was re-dyed so early on.  When I was looking for a 116, I noticed all the blue and brown interior cars had a discoloured centre console.  All the black and cream ones looked just fine.  I wonder what the problem is, maybe some different material or plasctic used for the centre section?

Also, I made an error in the ownership of the car, the previous owner had the car till 2007, not 2006.

Regards,

Carl.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Carl Jones on 03 January 2008, 05:07 AM
[...] all the blue and brown interior cars had a discoloured centre console.  All the black and cream ones looked just fine.  I wonder what the problem is, maybe some different material or plasctic used for the centre section? [...]
To my eye, the texture and sheen of the console vinyl is marginally but obviously different from that of the dash pad on each of my 116 interiors - one being black, one brown, and one avocado. 

On the console the pattern is more shallowly impressed, the sections (between the "veins" or grain lines) are just the tiniest bit larger, the colour relatively faded (even the black one) and the sheen is higher. 

In each instance I find the console vinyl looks just a tad cheap compared with the dash pads; it certainly appears to be from a different manufacturer - or perhaps some heat-related process alters it.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

carl888

Hi OzBenzHead,

Yes, I agree with you, the texture on the console is different, the texture is certainly finer on the console.

s class, here we go with the dash pics, lets me know if you need any more.  I've included a pic of the drivers side door trim as a point of reference.

Regards,

Carl.

Andrew280SEL

Wow, a pristine dash! We Aussies rarely see such things!

That's a very nice job. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

s class

Thanks so much Carl, much appreciated. 

That is really magnificent. 

carl888

OK, further update.  The centre console is now fitted at last.  It took some hours last Sunday to make sure all the gaps matched, the hardest thing was the top section under the timber trim and bending the sides slightly so that the curve of the console matched the under dash trim (See pic).  It's amazing how much more rigid it is as it's now affixed by screws instead of just sitting there.  There were no screws at all for the rear section and the top section was broken anyway so that was no use.  Now it's all repaired it has a familiar German solidity about it I find most satisfying.

I am hoping I can finish it this weekend.

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Hi Styria,

Correct, I did not have to remove the dash or the heater box.  At your suggestion, I checked the heater box foam and found it to be in excellent condition so I haven't done anything with it.  The only thing I did was to lightly grease all the linkages and control cables for the ventilation system.  The radio wiring and the repairs to the console was the most labour intensive because of the damage done previously.

Thank you for all the positive comments.

Regards,

Carl.

CraigS

As with any work of this nature, the first time is always the most time consuming. If you had to do it all over again, I'm sure you would be able to cut a considerable amount of time off it.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

carl888

Hi Craig,

Yes of course, it would be much quicker the second time around for sure.  I hope never to do it again!

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Well, was a bit pushed for time this weekend but managed to FINALLY get some stuff back into the console instead of ripping it out..

Cleaned up the fan/air con control knobs and managed to repaint the silver stripes on the bezel with a spray can of silver enamel of all things (Heavily masked of course :)

I was too smart for my own good with the self made bracket to support the radio and ventilation controls.  The top section fouled the bottom of the air con control thermostat at the rear of the switch...very annoying as I only found this out when I went to fit the switch...grrrr!

So I had to remove the centre section as per the pic below:

Anyway, the controls really fit nicely now and don't wobble like they did before:

The gear lever surround and ventilation controls are fixed and secured in their final position.  The radio and ash tray (Missing it's frame) are sitting unattached just to see what they look like for the photo.  I am very happy so far.