News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

1980 450 SEL Becker Mexico amplifier location?

Started by woodyrvf750, 19 April 2013, 03:31 PM

woodyrvf750

Can anybody tell me definitively where the Becker Mexico amplifier for a 1980 450 SEL should be located.

I have just taken out an after market Sony system that was mounted in the passenger foot well!

The good news is that the Becker Mexico radio cassette is still in place and all lights up when I put power to it, the bad news is that the cable coming out of it is not connected to the amp.

I suspect the amp may have been removed an binned but unless I know where to look then I can't be sure for certain.

My fear is that the amp should sit directly below the radio.  If this is the case then it's definitely gone.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

jbrasile

woodyrvf750,

On LHD cars the amp is located on top of the duct that sends air to the door card. You should be able to see it by removing the glove box liner. The amp is attached to a metal bracket and just slides and locks into place.

Tks

Joe

woodyrvf750

Great.  I'll check that tomorrow.  Mine is a RHD car but I think behind the glove box is a good place to start.  Encouragingly I haven't looked there yet!

jbrasile

I am almost 100% sure it is installed in the same location but on the left instead of the right since your car is RHD.

Let us know.

Oh, be careful when removing the glove box liner so you don't brake the corners, they get very brittle with age, you might want to lay a piece of cloth on top of the glove box door to prevent any scratching when you slide the liner out.

Tks,

Joe

woodyrvf750

Sadly it's not there..
Any other suggestions?
Many thanks.

TJ 450

Sometimes it is located in the passenger footwell, and is a small rectangular metal box. It can be mounted on the heater A/C blower assembly.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500