News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

1979 300sd Original Factory Rear Window - Care

Started by JasonP, 04 December 2011, 03:26 PM

JasonP

I just got done removing some very old tinting material from the inside of the rear window. The window is an original glass: it has the Mercedes logo on it and says "Made in West Germany."

My question is - If I use acetone to get the mucky glue off from the tinting, will I damage the glass? Any other ideas or suggestions on how to remove all the gunk from the window, without damaging the glass?

Thanks!
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

koan

What's going to damage the glass is rubbing with a material harder than glass.

Acetone won't damage the glass but cleaning the resulting mess off with a cloth that has embedded dirt will.

I've used Acetone for similar jobs, best is put plenty on and let it soften the glue before cleaning it off, problem there is acetone evaporates quickly. I've used a razor blade scraper (steel softer than glass but take care) after the acetone to get most off to minimise the rubbing.

Try something less aggressive and slower evaporating like petrol, kerosene or methylated spirits (AUS names) first.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Type17

Also, if the glass is still fitted in the car, don't underestimate the issues that may be caused by getting fluids on other parts of the interior - I'll bet acetone would make a mess of textile/vinyl/leather...

PS: Methylated Spirits (AUS/UK) = Denatured/Rubbling Alcohol? (US)
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

JasonP

Thanks, guys.

I ended up using acetone (i.e., nail polish remover), a little water sprayer, and a plastic windshield ice scraper. It works pretty well. Still a lot of elbow grease, but it's coming along.

The carpet underneath the rear window is moldy and warped. The rear window leaks water in two different places, which I have marked with stickers. This will be the subject of another post - How to seal the rear window on the outside as a temporary measure. I still covered the area with trashbags to protect against the acetone/water dripping and running down.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------