News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

1978 450SEL Love it or List it!

Started by brettj, 13 November 2013, 05:55 PM

brettj

Hi All,

I picked up a 1978 450SEL on EBAY. Received the car a couple of days ago and am not sure that I should bother with fixing it up the car or not. It seems to be very solid with the doors and trunk lid making that nice bank vault thud when closed. There was rust in the usual places, front wheel well near the rockers and at the passenger side rear wheel well where the drain hole for the gas cap is located. These rusted areas were all repaired. The paint is in excellent condition, 906G blue grey metallic. The engine seems to be good. The car starts right up and idles properly. The window switches and dash instruments all work even the clock. The automatic climate control system also appears to be working properly.

The car's mechanical needs are  rear door and gas cap central locking actuators  and a door switch for the interior dome light need replacement. The radio was replaced with a Clarion unit so the automatic antenna doesn't work. The sunroof closes very slowly and the exhaust system needs hangers as it is tied up with wire. The worst mechanical issue is the axle seals are leaking and will have to be replaced right away.

My biggest concern is the fact that I found surface rust under the interior carpets and trunk floor. Is repairing rusted or hopefully just surface rusted floor boards a huge expensive job? I don't mind repairing this car but I don't have a lot of time or money to do so right now since I'm still restoring my 1975 450SE.

Any suggestions? Should I move on and continue searching for a more driving ready unit or restore what I have?

Thanks,

Brett

TJ 450

I would keep it for a while, and when you get a chance, check over all these things carefully. Any significant rust, and I would just stick to what you have.

Surface rust may not be a problem, but I would investigate further before reaching any conclusions about the car.

From your description, it sounds quite reasonable though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

brettj

I picked at the rear drivers side floor board and unfortunately was able to push my finger through the metal. There is a huge amount of undercoating on the underside of the car so even though there is rust damage at least the undercoating is somewhat protecting that area of the car. It will have to be repaired. The passenger side has some surface rust but is in much better condition. The same goes for the trunk. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on this site. I took some to show everyone the car and it's issues.

Has anyone attempted to repair rust damage in the area I just described?

brettj

I guess I figured it out! Here's a picture of the car. I'll post the rust pictures later.