1974 280 SE; is there supposed to be a firewall grommet/fastener here?

Started by carl888, 02 November 2010, 11:33 PM

carl888

Anyone know if there is supposed to be a grommet or some other fastener on the drivers side (RHD) firewall?

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

My red 280 has one.

Tomorrow I'll have a closer look to see if it can be removed.  On my 350 it's snapped and remnants left behind in the firewall.  I've got a feeling it might be a single use thing unless it can be pushed back through the firewall.  I'll let you know tomorrow after I've sprayed all the redbacks. :o

The clip's about 27mm in diameter and slightly domed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1973 350SE, my first & fave

carl888

Thanks Oscar!  I knew you'd know!

I can't find anything on the EPC either, I showed the pic to my long suffering parts guy in Melbourne and he couldn't find anything about it either. 

Regards,

Carl.

Big_Richard

i think youll be hard pressed to identify the part in the epc as all of the diagrams are of the default version, ie, left hand drive.

right hand drive is much less popular and the part will be there but be a pain in the arse to find, if its even in the diagrams you expect it to be will be a miracle alone....

probably be in vehicle electrical or something stupid like that.

oscar

I couldn't get at it Carl sorry.  If it pokes through the firewall it exits right under the brake booster and I wont be taking that off any time soon sorry.

In the meantime, in the unlikely event I'm competeing in a concours against you and even further unlikely, if the competition is close and your only beating my by a point or two, I'll be sure to mention to the judges to check to see if this grommet is on your car  :D  ;)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

carl888

Hehehehehe, reply noted :)

Thanks for looking anyway Oscar and Major Tom!

UTn_boy

Hey Carl.  Try this part number for your plug you are missing.  000-997-48-86.  It is in group 68, third frame, callout number 183.  It looks like a screw, but in my years of experience that doesn't mean anything.  In fact, EPC calls it a plug, and that it holds insulation to firewall.  Maybe this will help.  :-)  AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

carl888

UTn_boy

You are quite welcome, sir.  Please let me know if it is the correct piece.  :-)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo