News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

1973 350SE Interior

Started by Ryan1980, 30 August 2007, 07:07 AM

Ryan1980

Hi all,
ive been looking for a w116 and theres one in todays paper, a 1973 350SE.
I was just wondering what year did they start using the woodgrain surrounds for the gear lever and heater controls? Also ive noticed some only have one dial for the heater controls and some have 2. What is that and what year did it come in?

I want to find one with the woodgrain, looks a lot better IMO.

Are there any other differences in the interiors over the years i should know about?

Thanks

Ryan

116Benz

2 dials are for A/C, 1 dial is non A/C. Woodgrain? I think it was 75-ish (same as the injection changeover on the V8's)

Ryan1980

i've seen one's with air con with only one dial though...

bugger, doesnt look like this one will have the wood grain :(

is it hard to find second hand?

116Benz

Was it genine A/C though?
And yes, can be rare. although depending on where you look, Ebay sometimes has them. I'm getting a set through Styria for the SEL (A/C, ashtray and gearshift console). I may have a spare A/C surround in zebrano available though, check ebay 1st though.

oscar

I'd have to agree that if there's only one rotary dial on the console, it operates the fan and fresh air vent and doesn't have air con unless previous owners have had an aftermarket aircon fitted which I haven't seen an example of.  If it's like the pic below, it's not factory a/c or doesn't have a/c.

All have wood across the dash.  But I too think wood grain was used in later models post 75.  More likely though that the complete wood outfit was applied to long wheel base sel's and/or se's as an option.  It's not too hard to obtain the wood from ebay though you may have to refinish the wood if it's in poor nic.  I too purchased a full set minus gear selector console from styria.  Being a 73 350se, that car may not have electric windows.  My 73 350se doesn't and it's very hard to get the gear selector wood without window switches.  There's a pic below of one with hazard switch and fader switch cutout that was for sale in Germany on ebay earlier this month.  They're very rare and this is the first one I've seen for a couple of years.  unfortunately the seller didn't accept paypal so I couldn't buy it.  If you're after full wood grain, you may have to look for a later model.

1973 350SE, my first & fave