News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

116 WHEELS

Started by Sev, 25 October 2007, 01:53 PM

Sev

Guys, I'm trying to figure out, other than the bundt cake wheels, what are the best looking wheels for 116s, that are either
a) period specific (meaning, they were created during the 116 production era)
or
b) that look really good on 116's, no matter when they were made.

If you could post pics of wheels that you think look nice on 116's, please do so.

I'm thining that AMG monoblocks (not talking pentas here) are a no-go on 116's. Those are more appropriate for 201+ chassis.

But the lightweight CLK wheels, I've seen them on 123's, and they look good, if a little polished. Some chrome wheels look good if there's enough chrome going around on your whip, or if your paint is metallic (as I understand there's metallic and non metallic paint schemes for 116's).

I'm also thinking authentic Ronal Pentas would look sick on a 116, especially if it's lowered and the tires are phat enough to make up the fender gap (they're only 16x7 at the biggest, for Pentas, I believe)

So, yeah. Please post pics of what you believe to be some of the best wheels ever for 116 models.

Oh, and please...no hubcap wheels or steelies.

Des

Personally I think BBS wheels look the best on these cars

these were 17 x 8.5 or 9.5 which I had on my 6.9 with 245 series tyres.

Sev

um, wow. 9.5" wide bbs meshies? i dunno bro, i like bbs wheels, but they are soooo bmw. i mean, didn't bbs make stock wheels (and still do to this day) for bmw? nother thing, i'm not sure i'd do gold bbs meshies  with metallic green, plus the three-piece style, like the amg 3pc monoblocks, makes them look like 14" wheels, no? the one thing about 3pc wheels, they always look 2 inches smaller than they are. and i kinda wish 3pc bbs and amg wheels were made in 17 and 18" sizes. those would lok soooo tits on a 116.

peterq

16"x8 (I think), 225/55, came from Silver Star in Sydney. Almost exactly the same rolling radius as originals.

peterq

And the original 14" Bundts went to the SLC, which had rather narrow steel wheels.

Des

Quote from: Sev on 25 October 2007, 05:30 PM
um, wow. 9.5" wide bbs meshies? i dunno bro, i like bbs wheels, but they are soooo bmw. i mean, didn't bbs make stock wheels (and still do to this day) for bmw? nother thing, i'm not sure i'd do gold bbs meshies  with metallic green, plus the three-piece style, like the amg 3pc monoblocks, makes them look like 14" wheels, no? the one thing about 3pc wheels, they always look 2 inches smaller than they are. and i kinda wish 3pc bbs and amg wheels were made in 17 and 18" sizes. those would lok soooo tits on a 116.

ah no, I don't think you could confuse them with 14" wheels, well not standing next to the car,

when I had them I was debating if I should paint them the same colour as the car,

remember also that AMG did supply these wheels in 15" and 16" along side the pentas in the 70's and 80's
if you look at period AMG brochures you will see these wheels on W123's and W126's

116Benz

Quote from: Sev on 25 October 2007, 01:53 PM

I'm also thinking authentic Ronal Pentas would look sick on a 116, especially if it's lowered and the tires are phat enough to make up the fender gap (they're only 16x7 at the biggest, for Pentas, I believe)

[No need to shout your message subject, especially when it is clear you have not used the search function - Admin]

The Ronal penta's you speak of are Ronal R9's I would think they are no longer available new (I wanted a set of them on my 190E, but got put off by price).

Des

AMG penta's look good,

Bill's new AMG 6.9 car:

Des

W126 wheels look ok, give the car a factory look

Des

I also think these would look great, giving the car larger wheels and better selection of modern tyres available

Simmons FR silver
Inches : 17 - 18

Description    

A Classic 5 Spoke Design
Sandwich Construction
Available in 17 X 6.5 through to 17 X 12
Available in 18 X 7 through to 18 X 12
Standard finish: silver centre polished outer.
Standard colours: silver / back / white / gun metal grey / gold
optional full polished centre at extra charge.

Simmons FR19 silver
Inches : 19

Description    
Classic 5 spoke design.
Standard finish: painted Centre
Polished Outer.
Standard colours: silver - black - white gold and gun metal grey
available sizes
19 x 7 through to 19 x 12
only available in 5 Stud Application

Optional: Full Polished centre extra charge.

Sev

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 07:23 PM
Quote from: Sev on 25 October 2007, 05:30 PM

ah no, I don't think you could confuse them with 14" wheels, well not standing next to the car,

when I had them I was debating if I should paint them the same colour as the car,

remember also that AMG did supply these wheels in 15" and 16" along side the pentas in the 70's and 80's
if you look at period AMG brochures you will see these wheels on W123's and W126's

huh, didn't know that. cool man. so what you're saying is that amg owns BBS, and manufactures the wheels both for Mercedes and BMW? DIdn't knwo that at all.

I would've personally painted them 'Mercedes Silver' or the same color as the car (at least the gold part)

got any pics of those brochures, i'd like to take a looksee

Sev

Quote from: 116Benz on 25 October 2007, 07:30 PM
Quote from: Sev on 25 October 2007, 01:53 PM

The Ronal penta's you speak of are Ronal R9's I would think they are no longer available new (I wanted a set of them on my 190E, but got put off by price).

Ronals are not only discontinued, but so are the reproductions, as I understand it. i'm also pretty sure there was two different offsets for the period specific Pentas--one was for 116/123/126's, which was 21 or 23 offset. then there were the 35 offset ones, which are a little more appropriate for a 190, but still a little off.

Sev

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 07:34 PM
AMG penta's look good,

Bill's new AMG 6.9 car:

Now ***THAT'S*** what I'm talking about right there. Silver 6.9 with silver Pentas. Such class, such elegance, such styling.

Whoever's car that is, must be a highly intelligent woman.

Sev

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 07:35 PM
W126 wheels look ok, give the car a factory look

nah. again man, the non-period wheels just DON'T look good on a 126. literally everything made after the 116 production run is just out of place looking on them. Dude what is that front bumper? It looks like a cross between a 190e EVO1/190e AMG gen 1/190e BBS bumper. Heh.

Sev

Quote from: Des on 25 October 2007, 07:43 PM
I also think these would look great, giving the car larger wheels and better selection of modern tyres available

Simmons FR silver
Inches : 17 - 18

Description    

A Classic 5 Spoke Design
Sandwich Construction
Available in 17 X 6.5 through to 17 X 12
Available in 18 X 7 through to 18 X 12
Standard finish: silver centre polished outer.
Standard colours: silver / back / white / gun metal grey / gold
optional full polished centre at extra charge.

Simmons FR19 silver
Inches : 19

Description    
Classic 5 spoke design.
Standard finish: painted Centre
Polished Outer.
Standard colours: silver - black - white gold and gun metal grey
available sizes
19 x 7 through to 19 x 12
only available in 5 Stud Application

Optional: Full Polished centre extra charge.

the second one's nicer (of those two)--i definitely think three peice (or 3pc style) wheels are better off without the added lip. gives them a larger look. but personally, all 3pc wheels in my book ought to be 18" or larger, otherwise it's hard to make it not seem too small.

i'd rather go with the BBS's like the one you posted above. But uh, if going for that style, don't you think the Mercedes IZAR wheels are much cooler?