News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

116 WHEELS

Started by Sev, 25 October 2007, 01:53 PM

Des

not familiar with those wheels, what do they look like?
what models did they come out on etc?

thanks

Sev

Quote from: Des on 26 October 2007, 12:06 AM
not familiar with those wheels, what do they look like?
what models did they come out on etc?

thanks

Izars? They were originally on the r129 chassis (like, 500sl/600sl, etc). But later they were stock on the 190e EVO II.

Here's a couple pics:

link to better (huge though) image:
http://www.thhe.dk/biler/Mercedes_190E_Evolution_II.jpg

Sev

Quote from: peterq on 25 October 2007, 06:27 PM
16"x8 (I think), 225/55, came from Silver Star in Sydney. Almost exactly the same rolling radius as originals.

oh man! (shakes head). where to start on this one! brown, mudflaps, 3pc wheels.  >:(

500eguy

I think Pentas really set off the 116 big time!

Des

Sev; The Izars look good, is the offset correct though for a W116?

I thought later MB wheels after the W126's wouldn't fit?

Sev

Quote from: 500eguy on 26 October 2007, 12:14 AM
I think Pentas really set off the 116 big time!

so true so true. hey 500e guy. can I ask you a question? you have a red w124 AMG in your avatar. also known as the AMG "Hammer". But your username is 500e guy. Do you have both the uber rare AMG Hammer, **AND** a 500e? Cause if so, you're like, THE MAN, brah

Sev

Quote from: Des on 26 October 2007, 12:19 AM
Sev; The Izars look good, is the offset correct though for a W116?

I thought later MB wheels after the W126's wouldn't fit?

no go on the Izars, the offset is too high, so you're right. later MB wheels are in the 44-50 offset range, which means rubbing on the inner fender, strut, or tie rod of a 116. well, at least that's what it would mean if a 116 was set up like a 201, but just had a 23 or so stock offset instead of 49.

but 126 15 hole wheels (like the one pictured before in this thread) do have the right offset for 116's. around the 20-25 range or so. Plus they're only 5.5 or 6 inches wide (depending on Euro or N. America spec), so even if the offset is +/- 5 from that range, you're still good, given the width of the 116 fenders

Des

The gold BBS wheels I pictured earlier in this thread were off a W126 and did scrape on the front under bumper spoiler, as I was about to put the AMG one on anyway, a bit of hacking with a hacksaw and the grinder brought it into shape.

In my opinion there isn't any real need to go higher than 17's or 18's, and a width of 8.5 with decent tyres is quite adequate.

Sev

Quote from: Des on 26 October 2007, 12:28 AM
The gold BBS wheels I pictured earlier in this thread were off a W126 and did scrape on the front under bumper spoiler, as I was about to put the AMG one on anyway, a bit of hacking with a hacksaw and the grinder brought it into shape.

In my opinion there isn't any real need to go higher than 17's or 18's, and a width of 8.5 with decent tyres is quite adequate.

then that's a tire size issue (if all it was rubbing on was the lower bumper cover). that's the main thing that tires rub on on 201 chassis, and AMG made a special fender spacing kit for the Baby Hammer (which has its own MB part number and is obtainable from the dealer) with three different washer sizes for different size wheels/tires (for use with the Hammer wheels).

I'd love to see pics of any 116 with 18x8.5 wheels. But with fenders as big as the 116, I'd naturally like to know what the boundaries of size are. Say you put #4 spring pads on a stock 116, and rolled the fenders, and malletted in the inner fenders with a rubber mallet.

What's the BIGGEST wheel (assuming the smallest, most stretched out tire size possible), you can fit on a 116, with no rubbing when the steering wheel is turned all the way in either direction?