News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Seat height adjustment

Started by Peter Anderson, 12 October 2005, 02:43 AM

Peter Anderson

Quick question, how does the seat height adjustment work? I have a handle at the front of the seat for front to back adjustment, and a handle on the side for up and down I think. But the handle on the side doesn't seem to do anything?

I'm missing something obvious aren't I?

Mforcer

The trick is that when you lift the handle on the side the seat still moves backwards and forwards but on an incline so that moving the seat backwards lowers the seat. After lowering or raising the seat you will need to adjust the seat position again with the front handle.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Peter Anderson

Is the effect quite subtle? I have played about with it, and I think I can feel (unless I'm kidding myself!) a slight difference along the lines you have described!

Oh well, I wasn't uncomfortable in my seat - I was just wondering how the adjustment was made! Cheers for the responses.

Mforcer

The seat moves backwards and forwards quite a distance when the height adjustment is made. The height change may not be great but it is noticable. When I last adjusted my seat height I remember thinking that after lowering the seat I could no longer reach the pedals.

What could be making the adjustment difficult is the floor carpets in the rear. These may bunch up under the seat preventing further movement. Try removing them before adjusting the seat and putting them back after you're happy with the seat position. The front carpets should not be interferring with the seat adjustment.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

OzBenzHead

Quote from: "Peter Anderson"Is the effect quite subtle?

Peter: the difference between max high and max low is about 3" - provided you go the full length of the runners.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Peter Anderson

The height adjustment does work, I just wasn't pushing it far enough forward or back. Cheers guys for the tips.

Yep it was the 280 that finally got the nod. It has full history, it steers and rides better, and hopefully I will get (slightly) better mileage out of it. I will certainly miss the 4 and a half litres worth of V8 though.

The 280 is now being put back together - the welding ends this Friday, and then off it goes to the body shop, to have it's new front wing bolted on and a full spray (it is a bit multi-coloured). It?s ended up with 2 new sills, a front left wing and rear left wheel arch required. The reconstructed front left corner of the sill and chassis is an absolute work of art (ker-ching for the garage!) there was hardly any good metal there when they started tearing it apart.

When the spray has been done I will then swap the leather interior, and better trim bits from the 450 into the 280, and try and sell the 450 on.