News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

I would do very bad things for this car....

Started by Yesmar, 21 July 2010, 02:08 AM

KenM

This car would surely not have left the factory with those tacky black caps over the front window winder holes? Doesn't look very MB really.
The paintwork looks good though and the black grille seems to suit.
Go for it!!

Ken

Big_Richard

kinda looks like the 450SEL someone has abandoned in my driveway  ::)

s class

VIN says its a 350SE.  That car originally had manual crank windows on all 4 doors, the 2+2 combo was never a 'euro only' option as the seller would have us believe. 

The car would have had a centre console trim with no window switches originally.  It's been cut for the single switches rather than the usual double switches. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Sweet!  I love that car.  8) 

A few odd bits about it.  I noticed no armrest either, was that ever omitted?  I was curious about the window and single switches as well.  Apart from the blanking plugs they've done a good job.  The whole interior looks schmick, love the combos and the exterior looks great.  Plus it's a V8 manual, what's not to love.  ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

flutes

A manual would be ace with the V8.  I'd love to drive one of those...
Matt
1977 450SEL

Yesmar

Quote from: KenM on 21 July 2010, 02:27 AM

Go for it!!

Ken

wish i could. but its almost over and i have a feeling its not even near its reserve price...

Quote from: oscar on 21 July 2010, 08:11 AM
Sweet!  I love that car.  8)  

A few odd bits about it.  I noticed no armrest either, was that ever omitted?  I was curious about the window and single switches as well.  Apart from the blanking plugs they've done a good job.  size=10pt][The whole interior looks schmick, love the combos and the exterior looks great.  Plus it's a V8 manual, what's not to love.[/size]  ;D
couldnt have said it better.      :)
- Ramsey

Big_Richard

does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same on the 350 versus the 450 ?

I'm wondering if anyone has made a manual 450 before, i reckon that would be ALOT of fun.
8)

SELfor50

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 22 July 2010, 05:24 AM
does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same on the 350 versus the 450 ?

I'm wondering if anyone has made a manual 450 before, i reckon that would be ALOT of fun.
8)

Should bolt straight up.  A fella in QLD had a 4spd manual box off a 350..  I've had 1 person say the crank would need to be re-balanced for a manual box.  But others say no cause the cranks don't have weights like chev cranks.  I'm not 100% sure.  But It would definitely bolt up.

A 4sp manual 450 would be sweet for sure.  8)

TJ 450

That's interesting about the balancing issue... the crank is balanced as a unit, and yes, it does have counterweights.

Perhaps the flywheel needs to be balanced with the crank, I'm not sure.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Squiggle Dog

I have seen a lot of Euro cars with the "2+2" option, that is power windows in front and manual in rear. It may actually be factory. They use black plugs in the front doors as well. Look at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-400-Series-450-SE-1977-Mercedes-Benz-450-SE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140438169317QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#v4-43
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

KenM

You could well be right squiggle, there are a number of option codes that indicate electric windows in the front only, still seems a bit poxy just putting black plugs over the hole in the door card though, how hard would it be to fit a different door insert?

MB_Mike

Yesmar, that is a wonderful car. I was watching it for quite some time knowing that I could not buy it.

As for the manual 350 bolting up to the 450 that would be keen.

Squiggle, thanks for posting that other car. It is about 50 miles from here and I contacted the seller in case the deal falls through. It ended at $880, what a shame. Also I am sick for the plaid interiors  :)
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Squiggle Dog

There was a nice Euro 280SE in the local craigslist for a while that had a blue plaid interior and a manual transmission for $1,200. Also, there was a Euro coupe with cloth interior and power windows up front, manual windows in back, and plugs in the holes in the door panels.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+