News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Trip to Temora Aviation Museum??

Started by oscar, 20 October 2006, 11:10 AM

oscar

Although I don't consider myself an aviation enthusiast, I love going to airshows.  A reminder to Sydney folk and surrounds that the big RAAF military airshow is on at Richmond this weekend!!! 

The best aspect of Temora airshows is the relatively small crowd of a few thousand compared to the 60-80,000 that turn up at Avalon or any other big show.   It's cheap at $15 each and personal, as after the show you get to talk to pilots, dignatories and go walk around the aircraft on the tarmac, put kids in the cockpits of the Dragonflies (they haven't let me in yet).  It's only 5 years old and thanks to David Lowy and whoever else has poured money into the venture, it's a world class venue that always attracts overseas visitors and vets. The collection and the museum is growing by the year and every show attracts visiting aircraft.  Apart from the restorations or works in progress, every plane's airworthy.   

A couple of years ago they had a drag race between a Spitfire and a D-type Jaguar.  I think the Jag won.  We may have to talk Mr Lowy into a Spitfire v's 6.9 drag.

It's around 300km from Sydney, around 200km from Canberra about 150km for me  ;D .  There's plenty of dates to choose from, confirmed flying dates are below.  Just tossing up the idea for the moment.  I go at least twice a year regardless who comes with me. For the meantime, go explore their website http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/

Flying Days 2006

November 4th & 5th 
December 2nd & 3rd 

Flying Days 2007

February 17th & 18th 
April 7th & 8th  (Easter) 
May 19th & 20th 
June 30th & July 1st 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Brian Crump

Sounds like a great idea but Travelmate says it is about 5 hours from Sydney maybe it's a bit far for a day trip?
Maybe there is a GR8 B&B or old fashiones hotel to stay at along the way?
Of course if were to have some sensible speed limits then there would be no probs at all.
Regards,
Brian

oscar

Hi Brian,

I have to admit that whilst 100km=1hr out here, 5hrs at a relaxed pace from the city is more likely.  Accomodation in Temora is booked out in advance, despite a new motel, for every weekend they fly.  Surrounding towns like Junee and Cootamundra experience the same.  My thoughts were there'd be more appealing towns to stay halfway on the way down for Sydney siders like Mittagong or Moss Vale.  Returning after the show especially on a Sunday is quick.  A few years ago I did Griffith-Rozelle 600km via the M5 and Hume Freeway on a Sunday evening in 5hrs thanks to the absence of traffic, Temora would've been 3.5hrs.

I wish I had thought of this much earlier as September 16 was a very big day which saw the PM and a bunch of other notables visit and the first flight of the museum's 2nd spitfire.  They have the only two spitfires flying in Oz.

Anyway, enough of the hype.  Another point worth mentioning is that despite the ability to sit in the main airconditioned hangar and watch the show thru the doors as though looking at a huge cinema screen, the december dates may be a bit warm.  Definitely the dates in Spring and Auntumn are the best to travel and see the show.

Brian Crump

Well, having missed the Canberra meeting as a result of the flue, I am keen to do a drive before Christmas...ANY excuse...something including the Bell's Line of Road could be fun. Is there something part way between Oscar and Sudney that will pass muster as an excuse for a drive? Even a dead tree will do...?
Anyway, off to check out the 6.9 - can't wait until Monday...
Regards,
Brian

oscar

Quote from: Brian Crump on 21 October 2006, 10:22 PM
Anyway, off to check out the 6.9 - can't wait until Monday...

Hi Brian,

"can't wait till Monday"??  Would you by chance be taking your cheque book along just in case?  8)  Regardless, looking forward to hearing whether the inclusions are a typo or if the car's a real corker!

Regarding the pre Xmas trip I've spoken too soon.  Sorry to throw cold water on the subject but I'm out sorry!!   Block your ears because here's my dramas.

-Time has flown as usual and I'll be getting my rego renewal soon.  The car will go to my mech in Wagga in the next few weeks for it's yearly makeover and rego check.  My rego runs out 20th December, not convenient!  There's a list of things to be done and based on the last two years, I give them the car until after the new year. 
-secondly we'll be doing the house moving thing before xmas.

That wasn't too bad, but basically I'll be off the road soon so no go for me unfortunately.

Brian Crump

Moving house? Ah my dream is the 6 car garage rather than the 4 we currently have. Well 4 if you don't want to get out the back door....
I guess we could all drive down to see you in the new place...
My thoughts about the 6.9 are already there....maybe it's a car for you?
Regards,
Brian

oscar

At Kangaroo Valley I mentioned to Mforcer about the possibility of a winery weekend and the best weekend for that is the Griffith Food and Wine Festival which goes by a fancy name and is in June I think.  Probably the long weekend, I bet Temora flys too.  If there's to be a long haul trip out of Sydney, perhaps both could be knocked over at the same time.  Hmm. Something to ponder. 

We're rebuilding so we have the joy of moving twice. I doubt it'll be finished before June but fingers crossed. Due to the asbestos in our fibro castle, to demolish was $30k now $25K.  That kind of ruined any hope of adding a bit to the mortgage to get a good 6.9.  Certainly that 6.9 is out of my reach for now.  To be honest though, whilst in Canberra I met up with Greg from the NSWMBC and met his 190E sportline.  Have to say I was impressed.  For a more efficient way of getting around town and to work, perhaps a hassle free more modern merc with everything working may be the way to go whilst the 350 is stabled and used for the MB get togethers.

Brian Crump

Stuart Park sounds good to me - is there a good place for food around there? Food is always high on my list of important things......Picnic is an option of course.....
Regards,
Brian

john skene

I would be interested in a trip to the Temora Aviation Museum, probably in the new year. If it can be organised early enough I shall book in locally the night before and probably that night as well so we can have a relaxing day.

Saw some of their aircraft at Richmond, and I was most impressed with the finish of the Canberra and Vampire, but the Spitfire looked as though it had passed through a hailstorm. Great to see it though, just loved the shape of the Mk8 rudder, it looks so right.

Brian Crump

Temora would be a great drive - but perhaps not before Christmas. OK - so we take our own food to Stuart Park - that's OK too. Yes, we would welcome any type of Mercedes - especially those with picnic tables.....grin...
Brian