News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

116 Aircon with 134

Started by WGB, 26 January 2009, 12:44 AM

WGB

Spent the afternoon driving around in the 37 degree heat yesterday in my son's 4 door - 3 year old Hilux Ute.

No plastic tint on the windows and a lot of sun but the aircon was struggling to cool the car down which surprised me.

My 6.9 with 134 conversion would have done a much better job and the ML's would have had  cannon balls falling from their brass monkeys if cranked up to the same level.

Bill

Hemersam

I've read so many conflicting opinions about 134 vs. 12 refrigerant I don't know what to think. My shop recently (last summer, actually) changed my '78 280SE from 12 to 134 and the a/c is NOT as cold as before. I wish I knew what the facts are.
Hemersam
P.S. I wish I could take the ACC system out and replace it with a working Euro system, but it would cost way too much to do that.
So, I just complain all summer and wait for winter.

alabbasi

I have two 6.9's. One with R12 and the other with R134. The 6.9 with R134 actually cools as well as the one with R12. That's not to say that R134 is more efficient, it isn't. But the conversion was done properly and the R134 6.9 has a new ACC servo, new hoses and a new condenser.

If your using an existing system then  flush and refill with R134 may not cut the mustard and it will almost certainly be better to evacuate the system, make sure it's leak free and refill with R12.

David Poole should be able to help with R12 if you need it.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

OzBenzHead

I have been informed that a conversion to R134a is likely to be more effective if the vehicle has a Frigidaire compressor (i.e. rotary) than with a York (reciprocating). On that basis, I've decided to regas my a/c (and convert to R134a) because my 116 has the Frigidaire compressor.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

WGB

I have converted 2 - both V8's. A 6.9 and a 4.5.

I had problems with the 6.9 because of a porous A/C manifold off the compressor but the repair now seems to be sound.

Both had their A6 compressors replaced, new hoses, new receiver dryers and new TX valves.

The A6 is powerful enough to run 134 but the York (280 compressor) is not.

Equally the 280 has a smaller condensor which will not handle 134 but apparently the V8 condensor is big enough if it is sound.

One problem is that the RHD 6.9 is listed as having the same receiver dryer as the 450 but it doesn't.

A RHD 6.9 has the same receiver dryer as a LHD 4.5 or 6.9 so one from the USA is the way to go.

If you can get F12 I would stick with it but if not (like Australia) the conversion will need to be done or else Hychill used instead.

Bill

alabbasi

Quote from: WGB on 26 January 2009, 09:11 PMIf you can get F12 I would stick with it

I have loads of R12 lying around. It's becoming more affordable now that fewer cars use it.  If converting back, flushing is a must as you need to change the oil back to R12 compatible oil. Many A/C systems fail because the oil is not compatible.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.