News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

'Nother video: 280S starting and running.

Started by chinny4290, 19 December 2008, 10:14 PM

chinny4290

here's another vid of my 280S running, taken later this past summer.

Since the previous video/thread (http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/vid-of-my-280s-running-any-advice-is-appreciated/), I changed all ignition wires, got a new ignition coil, and fixed the vacuum pump. The vid shown is before I did the vacuum pump...but no more misfire.

ANyway here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkKJysU82ts

Also, is the ticking being heard normal? I read the other thread about the starting up clack that the other dude was hearing, and wanted to make sure that my car isn't experiencing that either. I read somewhere that the M110s have a clackity sound to them which is unique to them.

ANy other advice = appreciated. But so far I think she's running wonderfully, no sputtering under hard acceleration either.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

oscar

I didn't realise that other video was so long ago.  It sounds good chinny.  Since back then I've got my track 280S running well and can say when the solex was on there it sounded no different to yours...well apart from one particular sound.  I can hear a whirrr sound with yours but I'm adamant that's just from the fan which I notice is also missing a shroud BTW.  I've removed my fan.

The engine noise doesn't sound different.  When I first got hold of povo there was a pronounced ticking noise coming from the below the exhaust manifold halves, see vid below.  I'd try to retighten all the exhaust bolts in the engine bay.  Manifold to engine on mine were fine but the other flanges were allowing exhaust to escape and producing a tick sound.  Made a big difference.

To me, the m110 inside the engine bay sounds like a tractor at idle.  I've adjusted all my lifters and played with a few variables and it sounds the same as yours.  I just haven't got a vid of the solex on the engine idling away after all the work I did but I'll get a good one up of the holley from the same angles as your vid and you can compare the sound.

Sound of exhaust tick - This is an early vid from June when I gave povo its first start.  There's a high pitched whine and the exhaust tick is definitely noticeable that went away after retightening exhaust flange bolts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVzZ-KuSDs

1973 350SE, my first & fave

chinny4290

Oh...when do you know that you need to do valve adjustments, I have no idea when the last time it was done on this car.

And how do  you know when to adjust the carb for optimal running (i dunno). i'm completely clueless because I've never owned a car needing valve adjustments let alone a carb.

And damn...i wish I had the money to repaint my car...that's one clean engine bay.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

oscar

I'll get back to you on the valve adjustment, unless someone else knows.  I can't remember the recommended interval, I just did mine on this car so I knew where they were at.  Some folks will say the need regular adjustment but I suppose that would translate to every time you change the oil perhaps.  I'd guess most get neglected.  As far as knowing when to adjust them, they just slowly get noisy but you might not notice any power loss or noise increase but once they are adjusted within spec, then you may notice a power increase if they were previously out of whack.

BTW, I wish the rest of my engine bay was that clean.  That's a repainted section, the rest isn't like that unfortuantely.

I'll get back to you on the carb too.  I had some crude methods of tuning it but one thing I didn't do is use a vacuum gauge on the manifold to tune the idle screws coz I don't have a vac guage still.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Quote from: oscar on 21 December 2008, 06:30 AM
I'll get back to you on the valve adjustment, unless someone else knows. 

As I recall, it's every 15,000 miles.  That could be wrong, but I know that once my 280 got past 12,000 since the last adjustment, the valves got noisier again.

WGB

I always thought the M110 motor was always a bit top end noisy - part of it's teutonic appeal.

The old rule for manual tappets was worry when they are quiet.

It was common practice to err on the side of being a little loose - valves lasted longer.

Bill