News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Exhaust upgrade?

Started by 500eguy, 22 January 2008, 02:03 AM

500eguy

I was thinking about changing the muffler on my car to a magnaflow at the same time i cut my cats off, anyone ever upgrade the exhaust on a m117? just wondering about how loud it will be. I don't want to do it if it is going to sound obnoxious.

SELfor50

Eh...... dont' know what a magnaflow is.  But I know that my exhaust is aftermarket.  It's 2" all the way and rumbles nicely.

For the past 3months i've been driving round with the exhaust manifold hanging on by 1 bolt (actually the thread of the bolt cause the nut had fallen/snapped off)
I got compliments like, "Duuuuuuuuude.....that sounds like it should be in summernats.."  "That sounds FILTHY man"....

Honestly it sounded disgusting cause it coughed like buggery, but boy did people turn there heads.
These engines are very f*kn loud!

In saying that, now that the manifold has finally been fixed (gaskets / rings in the flange as well) it sounds even better.  It's a very deep warm sound that is still turning headds, but in a more 'appreciative' way.

I reckon you'd wanna get something like Mavric has on his 6.9 though! 

Twin SS all the way.  'Pipe Up' 13B, drop some links in here, i'm too lazy to search ATM.  :D

500eguy

magnaflow is just one example, this is what i am talking about,

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=301

i will ask 13b what he is running, i do want a deep nice sound, but i don't want it really loud.

13B

You probably don't want my system... its louder than I anticipated and while I like it, its probably not in keeping with most 116s.  Mine gets away with it due to the lowered stance, fat RWL tyres, angry looking driver :)

Idle is felt rather than heard unless you are behind the car with a very low frequency blob-blob-blob idle, normal diving range (1000-2000rpm) is loud and tells everyone around that its a V8, and when pushed hard above about 2300rpm its positively deafening - in a good way.  I get away with it because in normal day to day driving I rarely go over 2300rpm.

It probably needs larger resonators and a larger muffler to bring the noise down to what is acceptable to most people's tastes.  Here are some pictures anyway:

And these are what it sounds like:

Link

Link

Ian.

450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

This picture shows the one and only muffler on my 6.9

It's a stainless sports muffler with somebody's name on it - can't remember off hand as I have never had to worry about it.

You know it's working with a robust V8 sound but it's not particularly noisy.

Bill

aus280

might be abit off topic but how close is your exhaust to your steering box? i just put a new muffler on the rear and got rid of the middle muffler on my 280 souns nice not droney

SELfor50

answer to off topic:  in the 450's the exhaust run's pretty close to the steering box.
Actually everything runs pretty bloody close to everything.
6.9's worse again.... or better, depending whether we're talking working on the car or the car working.  ::)

500eguy

13b, your car sounds nice! i am looking for something thats quiet at idle, loud when you step on the gas. I will be cutting some stock springs to see how that goes as far as lowering the car, if i achieve the look that i want then i wil def. go for a more aggresive note.

13B

I always find it fascinating how the ride height, exhaust note, and wheel/tyre combination combine to enhance the demeanour of a car... get them wrong, and its like you're trying too hard - get it right and you run out of superlatives to describe it.

Yesterday my 6.9 was in at the local european car service centre for a minor service and apart from all the guys there loving it, most of the other patrons commented on the car as well... The rest of the cars in there for work were 1990s and 2000s plastic fantastics (you know... W124s, W140s, late model BMWs, that sort of thing).  Having been cleaned and detailed the day before it just gleamed.  It must suck for owners of late model S class cars to see most of the attention in the place was directed to the oldest car in there...

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

WGB

Nostalgia somehow means more and is less threatening than modern reality.

My 6.9 number plates are copies of plates first issued in Western Australia in the 1960's and many of the older guys are taken with the plates and assume the car is about 15 years older than it really is.

Bill

WGB

Quote from: 500eguy on 22 January 2008, 02:03 AM
I was thinking about changing the muffler on my car to a magnaflow at the same time i cut my cats off, anyone ever upgrade the exhaust on a m117? just wondering about how loud it will be. I don't want to do it if it is going to sound obnoxious.

Here is a picture of the exhaust system on my 6.9 - It is obviously a Magnaflow and is a single pipe system with a small front resonator (which I had forgotton about) and a large rear muffler.
It obviously makes more noise than an OE but not enough to attract the constabulary and the "drum" at speed is quite minimal and comfortable while making sure you are always aware there is a big V8 doing the work. There are no uncomfortable periods of resonance any where in the rev band.

Quote from: Michel on 25 January 2008, 03:01 AM
Quote from: WGB on 25 January 2008, 02:37 AM

My 6.9 number plates are copies of plates first issued in Western Australia in the 1960's and many of the older guys are taken with the plates and assume the car is about 15 years older than it really is.

Bill

Pictures PLease Brother Bill  ;D

I, like Chris before me, have never publicised the number - due to my fetishism for security - but with you as a brother....

Bill

CraigS

Quote from: WGB on 26 January 2008, 01:35 AM

Which must stand for:

U nassuming
M ercedes
B enz
0 h Shit !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

WGB

I asked Chris - why the UMB? - but he didn't really know. The 690 is obvious.

Anyway he sold me the plates when he sold me the car - they are transferred separately and you pay different fees including Stamp Duty to transfer their ownership.

The U was a prefix for a series of numbers in WA in the 60's and early 70's so there is a local period side to it as well as the colour and style of the plates suiting the car.

Bill

CraigS

I'm sure that is the reason. When I had the 190SL, I checked with Vic Roads for period correct plates, and for 1956, the sequence started with G. I was able to get GMB 190, but the plates went with the car when I sold it in the 1990's.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

john skene

With carby's, if the back pressure was altered (i.e. by using straight through pipes) you really needed to adjust the mixture otherwise it may run lean and cause problems, but with the MB fuel injection system is this necessary any longer?