News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

'Brake' light when parking brake applied?

Started by chazchuzzlewitt, 05 July 2006, 05:00 PM

chazchuzzlewitt

my brake light doesn't come on in the instrument cluster when the parking brake is applied- I presume it's supposed to? I know the bulb is ok...

Denis

When you turn on the ignition, the brake light will glow if the parking brake is set.

A friendly warning  ;D

Denis

Paris, France

chazchuzzlewitt

ok... it does that- should it stay on until the brake is disengaged?

s class

The handbrake light shows if the ignition is on AND the handbrake is up.  If the ignition is off, of the brake down = no light.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

chazchuzzlewitt

ok.. i must have a problem with a contact somewhere then as the light does not glow when the engine's running and the brake is set.

Denis

You know chazch-machin  :P...if you forget the footbrake, that isn't too bad - the odour will warn you  :D

But on some cars, this warning light also tells you that your master cylinder level is too low - as in a leaky brake system - THAT is something you really want to know about.

Check the circuit.

Denis

Paris, France

Papalangi

On my '76 450SEL, the wire to the switch for the parking brake had come off.  That still didn't fix the light but filling the empty lamp socket with a new lamp did!  But then it stayed on all the time the ignition was on.  Turned out to be low on brake fluid.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

chazchuzzlewitt

hmm, I guess the wire for the parking brake has come off for mine too. I double-checked and the 'brake' light doesn't come on with the ignition. The bulb is ok though as it came on once when the brake fluid level was low.

dizzyD

There should be a switch, I guess, right above the brake mechanism, maybe the switch is gummed up or bad, it shouldn't be that hard to remove and check it with an ohm meter.
my .02c