News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Drag racing a 6.9

Started by Bandolero, 22 June 2006, 04:07 AM

Bandolero

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much for sending those vids of the "drag racing Mercs."
They are great, I especially love the sound of that 6.3.
I hope they can be added to the library as they are certainly worth having.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

AMG69

Jim, can u email me too?  mundayc@pitcher-wa.com.au
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

If you could CC me in too with the video clips that would be great thanks

vengeanceunlimited@gmail.com

alabbasi

I think a gentleman called Jason Scofield has videos and images of a 6.9 and 6.3 on a drag strip. Looks pretty awesome.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

jjccp

Chris M and Des,

Of course I will email the vids to my new Australian friends. You should have them by now. Hey, some day I'm coming there (to Down Under) and will be buying rounds for my buds.

Just wondering who is the moderator around here? I don't mind emailing the videos, but this web site is a way more efficient method of giving access to this type of information than me. It would be great if anyone hitting the site could just play the vids on their own.

Anyone know how to make it work?

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

alabbasi

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

AMG69

Jim, sensational VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've never seen a 6.9 - let alone 2 going head to head - on a drag strip. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

So, we now know that a standard 6.9 (in 2006) can achieve around a 15.8 quarter; still bloody impressive for a 4400 pound car with 3 speed box and 2.65 diff!!  As for that HOT 6.3 achieving 14.16 WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! 

Hmmm, must find myself a shorter diff ratio.......

Cheers

Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Re: Alabassi's photo. 
Cool, I'm glad somebody took a photo of my 350 trouncing that 6.3!! :D ;D :D

jjccp.  I got back home today after a week away and boy, great vids.   What have you started??  All of a sudden I'm thinking of buying one of those sub $1000 450's off ebay, strip it and start modifying.  Dual turbo, flamed sides etc, etc, and take it to the yearly 1/4 mile drags down the road in my neck of the woods.

Did you hear those exhausts?  Sounded awsome thru our sub woofer on the computer.  Thanks heaps!  ;D Me smilin'
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Bandolero

Yes, after those great videos, I have the bug to go drag racing!!!!
Trouble is, here in South Australia, there are no 1/4 mile strips in use, all are 1/8 mile strips.
No good for a long legged 6.9, etc.

I am going to go down to the Goolwa air strip soon to see Geoff Eastwood to find out how much it costs to use the bitumen strip.
Apparently he has let people use it for street drags before.

AIR is not doing street drags at the moment, but I did find out that Cruzin' magazine is hosting a nostalgia drag meet for classic cars in Oct 21st.
Will let you know when I know more.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

jjccp

I'm glad you all like the vids.

I've heard that the joke is to tell uninformed spectators that the Mercedes about to drag race has a diesel engine. Then it does a burn out and blasts off.

Oscar, you didn't get the biggest video, it bounced back from your ISP being too big. I sent a pm to Mforcer and asked if we can upload them here. Let's see what he says.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

oscar

Thanks Jim,

I missread your emails, I was too keen to see them.   I thought you had split the smaller videos from one email over two.  Anyway, it's a bugger if I've got a "limit".  I'm sure it'll show up somewhere sooner or later for download.  Thanks again for sharing.  Now I gotta take these to work and brag. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave