News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

What's your 116's attitude?

Started by michaeld, 03 May 2006, 10:49 PM

OzBenzHead

Quote from: oscar on 24 May 2006, 06:57 AM... a post I read on another Aussie forum that referred to the 116 as "the ugly duckling of the S class family".  Pfff, each to their own I guess, but that's hogwash.  You would've read this one OBH, I checked across the Ozvets forum for the first time the other day and that's one of the first things I read.

Oscar: It was one of the first responses, on the Ozvets forum, to my post about participating in / contributing to my proposed W116 book project. Interestingly - though encouragingly - it is the only negative response out of over 100 responses in total, so is not to be taken as seriously representative of Benz owners.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

michaeld

Oscar,
Quote from: oscar on 22 May 2006, 12:42 AM
Firstly, knucklehead (michaeld)   :)

Oscar,
I've got to 'fess up here; my nose actually was bent out of joint when I saw your "knucklehead post" - UNTIL I checked my initial post and realized what you were doing.  I had completely forgotten that I had said, "Am I a knucklehead for asking this?" and couldn't understand why you were calling me names!  I was so pleased to realize that you were just "funnin'" me!  And yes, I realize now that it was a little knuckleheaded for me not to realize that I had set myself up for a good joke!  BTW, my misunderstanding was entirely MY fault; your remark was actually quite funny - once I put it in context. ;)   

I got together with my brother and told him about your post and my reaction to it as an example of a bunch of things: give people the benefit of the doubt; don't get angry at someone until you know all the facts; (and lastly, don't ask people if you are a knucklehead unless you someone to eventually give you an honest answer!!! :D).  My brother is very much a "car guy" who belongs to a number of car forums; and he told me that he has often seen people go at each others throats on auto forums.  I replied back that one of the things I most like about this forum is that people are ALWAYS so genial and friendly.  I just want to draw attention to the fact that I am pleased to (finally ::)) see that this thread continues that tradition.  I enjoy the comraderie on this forum a great deal.

As for that discussion between Oscar and Ozbenzhead about someone calling w116s "the ugly duckling," I can only say this: I have always thought that old MBz saloons were magnificent to look at; and I continue to think that the w116 is the most pulchritudinous of all!  It seems to me to be a magnificent blend of the beautiful classic MBz cars with a modern touch.
Mike

oscar

Hi michaeld, trust me, I'm harmless. I even took the liberty of throwing a smiley on the end to give u a hint I was kidding.

I've dropped off from participating from other forums (non merc) because of the mudslinging, flamewars etc.  Other than that, reading and participating takes a hell of a lot of time.  So to participate in this smaller group that's specific to w116 is most rewarding.

You can basically ask any question on this forum and not get shouted down by a "know it all" saying we've already covered that newbie! >:(  You know what I mean?   I can happily say I'm an expert at removing and installing my steering wheel but that's about it.  I'm happy to ask Q's about anything 116 and know I'll get someone willing to help.
Ok, now fellas group hug.  :D ;D :D

There's only one other forum that I participate in and covers everything that's rail related in Aus  (another interest of mine, particularly rail history).  This is a huge forum that one could never hope to read everything on a daily basis and amongst the useful and helpful info there's the all too familiar presence of dribble that sees threads locked and warnings handed down.  Unfortunately railfans the world over have more than their fair share of strange characters (I'm not one of 'em, but they all say that ::))

BTW, saw cateye effect this evening at work but no camera.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

davestlouis

I would like to contribute my 2 cents on the whole subject of manners on forums...I have noticed that on all of the MB-related forums I participate in, people tend to be polite, and act like big kids.  Further, with the MB forums, there is a lot of discussion about preserving the cars, on most other brand-specific forums, the discussions are more about speed and appearance items, even BMW forums seem to be light on restoration and preservation.  I come to these forums for 2 reasons, information when one of my babies is acting-up, and just general time-killing.  I do appreciate the low-key demeanor of the posts...I have enough stress in my real life, I surely don't want to get in a pissing match with someone online. 

oscar

Re the cateyes.

So, the feline eyes and the purrr of the engine.  If you squint, my 350 looks ready to pounce.  Mmmm, perhaps 116's have a predatory trait.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

OzBenzHead

Great pic, Oscar. Very feline, indeed!  Meow.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

michaeld

Oscar,

I DO trust your good and friendly intentions - NOW.  But I should have trusted them all along!  That was why I wrote that last post of mine; to tell the w116.org world "Don't ever get your nose bent out of joint by a post until you've made darned sure you've given that member every benefit of the doubt!"  Always assume your fellow w.116.org-ers are the decent, pleasant, friendly, gracious folk you've come to know and like!

I was not by any means attempting to call anything you wrote into question; rather I was doing a mea culpa.  I should have read your post in the context of the whole thread - and appreciated your humor - rather than read it out of context and become "uppity."  I was the one in the wrong, and I apologize for my misunderstading.  It was actually a very good "life lesson" for me: don't become upset with anything a person says or does until you've examined all the alternative possibilities (i.e. give them the benefit of the doubt!).

But enought about mea culpas!

As to your "feline" car...

I definitely DO see the "cat about to pounce" look in your pic.  I definitely like the look!  My headlights have a more "wide open" look to them (surprised?  Too much caffeine?).  Is that a difference stemming from Euro versus US market cars?
Mike