News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Regards from Madrid on board a 450 SEL

Started by dudu, 19 May 2006, 09:20 AM

dudu

Hi all.

I have been reading this forum since a couple years ago, trying to collect all the info i could just before buying a W116 - 450.

Finally, one year ago, i bought a 1974 450 SEL ( ByzanzGold ) that i have been driving at weekends for some months.

Today, it is on the garage where i am working on its restauration. First of al i changed all the "fluids", oil, water coolant, brakes liquid, after that i start changing some things like the "rubber brake lines " ( if translates ) and dismounting , and painting the exhaust collectors. Now i am in the middle of some small works, like adding a new rpm counter and some wood for the interior... I will try to add some photos.

Thank you all for posting such valuable information for all newcomers like me.

Best Regards.

Edu.

dudu

Some photos... ( car was repainted on a "mustard" colour some time ago )...

Regards.

michaeld

Edu,
A pleasure to welcome you to the forum, dudu (although I note that you've posted a couple of times before).  Thanks for posting the pics of your car; it looks like it will really shine with some TLC!  Good luck with your restoration projects.
Mike

Are you the first member of w116.org from Spain?  That would be cool!

dudu

Quote from: michaeld on 19 May 2006, 12:01 PM
Edu,
A pleasure to welcome you to the forum, dudu (although I note that you've posted a couple of times before).  Thanks for posting the pics of your car; it looks like it will really shine with some TLC!  Good luck with your restoration projects.
Mike

Are you the first member of w116.org from Spain?  That would be cool!

Hi. I am not sure about being the first member from Spain. I really know that some good colleagues from www.mbfaq.com ( All MB models ) and www.pieldetoro.net ( oldtimers ) are usual readers of this forum. I will try to move them here.  ;)

Best Regards.

oscar

Very nice dudu,

I see you've got a Becker Mexico too, I'm jealous. 

I too was reading the forum long before I joined and if there's one thing I like about it it's the fact it's pure w116. 

I can't remember any other member referring to Spain, so you may be the first.  Many others cross to and from other forums, sharing info on the way.  Having bilinguists among us opens another door for info sharing between us and non english forums, so welcome.

Tell me, how popular are 116's in the MB world in Spain.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

michaeld

Dudu,

Yes!  By all means, introduce your friends; the more the merrier around here.

One of the things several of us here have commented on in sundry posts is the fact that one of the best/noblest things about this forum is its international character.  Sharinng something in common with people from all over the world is priceless.  The more countries represented, the better!
Mike

Oscar,
Pardon my ignorance: what's a "Becker Mexico"?

Des

Welcome aboard, nice looking 450SEL, is that the original colour?

dudu

Hi.

Nope, its original colour was the ByzanzGiold ( colour code 422 ), but the car was painted 10 years ago in this mustard colour. My next step , as soon as i ended with mechanical issues, is start painting in the 422 code.

Becker Mexico... it is the original radio/cassete... a good one. I was surprised when i check it... it has the ability of automatic channel search, stereo... In the 70s !!!

Well, regarding popularity... not so much, anyway we have listed more than 25 W116 within our list, including some 6.9 and a couple armored 6.9 used by the Spanish King ( Juan Carlos I ) some time ago.

Regards.

oscar

Quote from: michaeld on 19 May 2006, 11:15 PM

Oscar,
Pardon my ignorance: what's a "Becker Mexico"?

Michaeld, I thought you had a Becker??  I'll admit to not knowing what Becker was until I got my 350se.  Becker was the main OEM autoradio installed in Mercs.  I'm blessed (not), with a AWA AM only radio.  I do believe my car deserves an upgrade.
Becker radios of the era are the best looking car radios I've ever seen IMO and the last classicly styled radio before the pushbutton, plastic, non-mechanical age of car audio.   

Becker units came in various models and capabilites ie mono,stereo,cassette plus differences in the various frequencies receivable.  The Becker brand name was followed by the model, ie; Becker Mexico, Europa, Grand Prix, Monza.  I reckon the age of the CD saw many replaced but now their popularity is on the rise.  $200-300US+ you'll pay for a good, working, stereo capable unit. 

The alternative is to wait till June this year.  Nutz informed me in this thread of a new retro styled Mexico.  I found a site that had at least 4 variances, particularly the knobs but I can't find that link. $1500EURO?? No way Jose'.

dudu; we posted at the same time.  Your Mexico has the Wanderbar (autosearch) if that's how you spell it.  I'm after a Europa II, specifically for the wider FM stereo range to receive my iPod.  It also has the autosearch function.  BTW  25 w116's is good.  If you ever have a get together, we'd love to see the pics.  Regards
1973 350SE, my first & fave

michaeld

Oscar,
My car probably DID have one - once.
The original owner "upgraded" to a Sony sound system.  I would have preferred it if the stock system remained, so long as it worked.  In general, I'm just not all that "into" sound systems.  No iPOD or satellite conversions on my horizon.  One of the things I like about driving is it gives me an opportunity to clear my head - contemplate my navel and whatnot  ;D - and simply enjoy the drive.

As a grad student, I found that there are different types of studiers.  Some told me they couldn't study unless the television or the radio were on full blast.  Others - like me - preferred the silence of a tomb.  Driving is one of the times I prefer the silence.

Thanks for the FYI on the Beckers, with the history lesson and description, Oscar.

davestlouis

I need to chime in...I don't care that the mustard color isn't original, I LIKE IT. 

OzBenzHead

Quote from: michaeld on 20 May 2006, 07:54 PM... One of the things I like about driving is it gives me an opportunity to clear my head - contemplate my navel and whatnot ...

Michael: I hope that your navel (and whatnot!) gazing is achieved via a heads-up display on your windscreen (windshield); could be a tad risky at speed otherwise!   ;D ;D

I must agree with you on music versus silence; I prefer the latter - or the merry tune of the mechanicals doing their thing - most of the time I'm driving. Although I have a seriously good sound system in one of my Benzes, it gets little use.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]