News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

leather on doors ?

Started by Tomi, 22 March 2005, 09:33 AM

Tomi

I am restoring the interior of my 450sel-80 (black leather). Those of you with leather interiors: How does the original door upholstery look like ? is it the same leather as the seats or is it cloth ? is it smooth or wrinkled ? does it have the same small holes as in the seat middle part ?

Mforcer

My doors have the same leather as the seats and has little holes all over it. It is also smooth without any wrinkles. I'll try to find a photo to show you exactly what I mean.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

twn75

Depending on the year of course, It should have perforated (holes) vinyl that is wrinkled in a sheet covering the door with a foam stuffing to help ventilate heat when it is engauged

twn75

sorry but what I meant was that it should have a wrinkled finish not an unsupported sheet of vinyl that would be indicated by deteriorated foam. But my car is a NA version and therfore may have trim differences

twn75

H styria
There is nothing special about my door panels. They are perforated vinyl and if you look closely there is an abstract wrinkled finish. Sorry But I'm not that close to sydney, Vancouver Canada
thanks

Thomas

AMG69

I'll try and add some photos of my Black Leather Interior including the door trims which are all factory original - hope it helps!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/mundayc/b2456b4c.bmp

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/mundayc/my6.jpg
[/url]
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

Hi Chris and welcome to the forums!

The interior of your car looks very nice. I like the black particularly. I often wonder what my car would look like with a black interior or possibly even two tone interior :twisted:

It also looks like you have the powered rear seats... am I right? If so, how do they work? What part of the seat moves? Is it just the rear seats that are powered?
Michael
2006 B200

AMG69

Yes, just the rear seat is powered.  I think the w116 was the first to have this option and some 560SEL's also then got it.  The whole bench seat moves forward and back.  Cant say I use it much!!!
cheers
Chris

AMG69

Because the black interior is reasonably rare I thought I'd mention I saw a very good condition black interior on a W116 being wrecked here in Perth.  Everything is there - seats, door trims etc.  Its at "the Star Shop" in Osborne Park, WA.

Tomi

My project is coming to an end. I had all my leather redone, that is new materials. No perforated leather in the center seat ribs nor in the doors. Otherwise it looks fine. I will post some pics in a while. And the car is red, inca red, which goes well together with black leather.

The next project is on the air conditioning, but that will have to wait for maybe next year.

PS. Save that black leather interior from the wrecking. If nobody else wants it, I'll go for it. Was it from an SE or SEL (different size back door). I would need an e-mail. thanks

Mforcer

Where are the photos?  :D I would love to see that colour combination. My car is Brilliant Red and if I ever changed the colour of the interior it would be to black.
Michael
2006 B200

Tomi

I posted some pics to the gallery in the garage section. One pic went to the drive section by mistake and I was not able to move it to the other section together with the others. Well here is one view of the cars I work with

Mforcer

Thank Tomi. I think your car looks great with that colour combination. I would do the same if the opportunity (and need) came.

I noticed in your photos what looks like the original steering wheel but with the rim covered in leather. Is that the case?
Michael
2006 B200

Tomi

Yes, it has a wheelskin on the rim. They sell these on ebay. Giving the wheel diameter and rim thickness, they can make these and its not that expensive. You just have to tie it up to the steering wheel with the special thread provided.
Looks very good and it is much nicer to touch leather than the original old plastic. It also increases rim thickness a bit and that also adds confort.

twn75

Holy crap is that the ilusive MB rear electric seat in A w116