News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Becker (old) and iPOD

Started by AMG69, 07 April 2006, 02:53 AM

AMG69

Well, as my 6.9 is sitting in the garage with no interior (carpets, seats all missing), it seemed like a logical time to finally upgrade the stereo system.  I was determined to reinstal the rebuilt Becker Mexico Casette but I wanted to improve clarity / power and I wanted an iPOD hard wired in. So, as of today (photos to follow) I have:

Becker mounted back where it originally sat in the dash (totally rebuilt);

The old AMP (5watts per channel I think!) has been replaced by a brand new 4 channel AMP, boot mounted Alpine MKPF240 4 x 90W;

a fader has been mounted in the glove box (old centre console mounted fader wont match with new amp);

front speakers replaced with new Alpine 2 way speakers and tweeters mounted on A pillars;

Rear speakers replaced with 3 way Alpine speakers (slightly raised as I didnt want to cut into the metal work);

iPOD connector (straight from AMP) exits through a small whole drilled in the centre console about one centre metre (1cm) behind the Burl console, ie hidden under that small patch of carpet in the centre console where you tend to accumulate stuff (!)(so, when you want to use the iPOD you lift the end of the carpet, attach iPOD, replace the carpet patch (mine isnt glued down), and a relay then cuts the radio/cassette off).

No need for a CD player as I have a 30Gig iPOD with my entire CD collection!

So, there you have it; total cost of AMP, speakers, fader, relays etc etc was $A750.

And Big Richard, dont ask me any technical questions as I'll have to refer you to my "assistant" who did all the work!!! (I say that only 'cos i know you can probably do all this in your sleep unlike us lesser mortals!!!)

Cheers!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

We must have details and photos! :) I'll be doing something similar to my car if I can't get an iPod adapter kit for my new-ish Becker CD player.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Des

Chris; did you have to butcher the interior of your car to fit the new speakers or did they just drop into the old holes?

I've used an Ipod with the Apple FM transmitter with my Becker Eurovox and admittaley it isn't the best sounds Ive ever heard but still quite useable.

I'd be all for upgrading speakers provided they fitted into the existing speaker holes/mounts.
That way it is not hard to put back to original spec if I ever need to sell my 6.9 (heaven forbid)

John Hubertz

(laughs)  He cut holes in the metal frame rail under both doors, silly!  That's de rigeur for all upgrades from NOW ON!

YOU WILL COMPLY

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

AMG69

Front speakers are in factory position; rears are replaced with newer alpines and are mounted on small spacers; No butchering at all - we have actually ended wup with the AMP under the passenger seat as it was easy to put there with no seats in the car!  Tweeters are very small and hardly noticeable; sorry, I wil try and post pics this week!

Mforcer

Hi Chris, do you have any more details on the amp you have used; brand, model? How do the connections from the iPod and the stereo work so that only one acts as a source at one time? I am in the processing of getting all my music ready for an iPod or two ;)
Michael
2006 B200

AMG69

OK, I was able to use the existing speakers at the front; the previous owner had replaced these with modern two way Alpines and so they stayed. We added tweeters as you can see.  The rear speakers were also replaced by previous owners  - three ways on spacers on the parcel shelf; all that stayed; the amp is an Alpine and its way more than I really need to be honest; 90 + 90 from memory; sorry the car is off getting the rust removed so i cant quote Model numbers etc; the centre console fader cant cope with the amp so thats been replaced with a new fader mounted in the glove box; the fun part was setting up the iPOD; I wanted to have the cord exiting below the centre console so its hidden when not in use; in the photos it exits under the burl but I will change this now the whole console is out (for rust repairs) and will probbaly drill a small hole through the console (vinyl?) under that removeable carpet piece in the centre console; this way the wood fits perfectly around the gear shifter rather than being slightly raised as it is in the photos; 

You will note the white cord and toggle switch that is sued to switch between deck and iPOD once the iPOD is connected; this is now going to be replaced with a genuine MB W116 switch (say another interior light switch or if I can find one an electric aerial or fan fare horn switch) and mounted in the centre console because I had one spare spot between sunroof and interior light switches (see photo); (no fan fare horn in my car as its a UK car).  I very carefully drilled out the plastic for the extra switch (the burl was already precut for 4 switches which I was most pleased about!!!!!).

So, you simply attach the iPOD in the centre console (easier to reach than the glovebox) and then hit the switch to move between Becker and iPOD (I think this is rather clever and keeps the car looking factory neat!!).  Thats about it!  I used a Perth group called Car Sound in Balcatta as I heard they had  a guy there who loved old Beckers; he did a great job.

I had been using an iTRIP (FM Transmitter) but on long trips it tends to cut out a bit so this problem is now solved!

Mforcer

You're doing a great job with integrating the iPod with the original head unit. I don't think it could be better!

Your car will look great too. Those rims are fantastic!
Michael
2006 B200

oscar

Chris, Don't think I've noticed your car before.  Wow! Nice setup.

It's a pity iPods weren't around before the CD.  Becker's would still be in most of our cars and far cheaper to buy s/hand.

I can't wait to see your continuation of your iPod Integration Kit.  ie: the steering wheel mounted buttons and display in the middle of your speedo.   :D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

mb350, yes I had thought it would be great to have that set up too - one of my partners here has a CLK320 with it; very clever indeed!

:)

Nutz

You guys know that Becker has made a retro style Mexico recently with todays technology right ? Ipod hookup,big power...........

More info on it... http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12924

oscar

Thanks for this info Nutz. Awsome!!! 

In the same breath though, unfortunately 1500 Euro. :o. That's about 2,460 Aussie pesos or 1,900 USD, plus import duty.  I don't think I could sell my 350 for that much. 

Maybe a $300 original becker mex is the way to go after all.  Nah, I still want one.  Doesn't hit the shelves till July, it'll be interesting to see the interest.
1973 350SE, my first & fave