News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

My 450SEL Restoration

Started by alabbasi, 10 June 2005, 09:26 PM

alabbasi

For any who are interested, I am almost complete with the restoration of my 1979 US Spec 450SEL 6.9. I bought this car on eBay for a very small amount. I did know it had a lot of rust but thought that it would be a nice cheap way of getting into M-100 motoring. The car was bought unseen and when I saw it I was shocked by the amount of rust on the car (it never looks as bad in the pictures). My thoughts were to drive the car for a while and then part it out or sell it along when something bad happens. The car may have ooked like crap, but it drove like a dream and handled so well. As a result, I got motivated to restore the car. I checked a few body shop any no one wanted to touch it with a 10 ft barge pole. If they did, they wanted 5 digit numbers. Eventually I found an outfit that was willing to take the job on. Work has been slow but steady and I have been documenting the progress. Please see for yourself on http://www.alabbasi.net
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Mforcer

Hi Alabassi,

That is certianly looking like an impressive restoration. I have been following your progress since the beginning and it really is great to see the quality work being done. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. It makes me want to tackle a restoration project only if I had the time and the space.

Regards,
Michael
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

alabbasi

I live in a 1 bed apt and have two cars under restoration. I dont think space should be a constraint. Time Skill and Money certainly are :-(.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Mforcer

I also dip my hat to you :)

Where are your cars located when being restored? The only way I could imagine doing it is if I had at least a garage to fill and make a mess in. I don't even have a permanent home at the moment for my only car :(
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

alabbasi

The building I live in has underground parking. I rent two spaces there for my cars and will be keeping a car at Phil's.

The restoration is taking place at a back street bodyshop that is being run by two very talanted guys who are doing all the welding and painting.

The car should be out by the end of the week. I stopped by today and they just had the door seals fitted. As a result, the doors are a little tough to close but that said, it looks pretty nice. Bumpers and some trim and it should be done.

Next in line is the 280SEL. I stopped by the shop with it last week and they ran for cover. After explaining to them that although the 280 is an older model it was a Texas car and hence has zero rust. I plan to drive the car up to them and drive the 6.9 back.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

Has anyone eye balled Martin460's web link under the members link? His 280S restoration makes my 6.9 look like a walk in the park.

Pretty amazing if you ask me.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

I have a 108 280SEL 4.5 that I bought as a rust free resto project about a year ago. The car had a misfire and the engine felt strong but in need of tuning. I will write up the full details when the body resto begins but to cut a long story short, I have spent more money in the engine trying to get it to run right then I did on the 6.9 bodywork. The car still doesn't run right and still looks awful with bad interior and saggy headliner. It really is a labor of love. Whether your working on a new ford or an old Mercedes a good body guy can be found at a reasonably inexpensive price. A good Mercedes tech who knows these 30+ year old cars with D-Jet is another animal all together and a rare one with many impersonators.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

The car on the website is the car in question. As I understand, from my Aussie Mechanic in Dallas. The K-Jet is a very simple mechanical injection system that is reliable because it is simple. He was a bit of a tuner and suggested to me on many occasions that I should find a crashed 560SEL and take the engine fuel system and gearbox from it and have it fitted to the 280. At the time I thought it would be too expensive but seeing as I have spent so much already, it doesnt seem that way.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.