News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Anything special or exotic about 6.9 starter?

Started by raueda1, 11 February 2023, 10:44 AM

raueda1

I think not.  So, a good local shop doing old cars ought to be able to rebuild it, no problem.  Right? I'm thinking clean, lube, new solenoid, brushes, whatever else they do.  I've got several that I'd like to refurbish including the one in the car per an earlier thread. Just doing a reality check.  Thanks and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

I would think any halfway decent auto electrical outfit can refurb them.  There is no special pixie dust at play here.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

andrewk

Quote from: raueda1 on 11 February 2023, 10:44 AMI think not.  So, a good local shop doing old cars ought to be able to rebuild it, no problem.  Right? I'm thinking clean, lube, new solenoid, brushes, whatever else they do.  I've got several that I'd like to refurbish including the one in the car per an earlier thread. Just doing a reality check.  Thanks and cheers,

I am about to dismantle one that I bought as a core - just waiting on the special socket to undo the Carbon brushes and remainder of the housing (12 mm x 2 mm flat blade socket adapter) as it is very difficult to undo with a large screwdriver.

According to a friend who is an auto electrician, it should be trivial to rebuild as long as the parts are available- although it is considerably larger than many other starters. He said there are several companies who supply high quality parts for Bosch starters of all designs.
1979 450 SEL 6.9 (#5532) - silbergrün metallic

marryjanes

Any car electrical shop worth its salt should be able to fix them up.  There is no magical dust involved.
quordle unlimited

raueda1

I just rebuilt mine as well as spare core that was laying around.  The shop confirmed what you guys said, with one caveat:  now there IS some specific part that's NLA from Bosch.  It might have been the solenoid itself, or maybe the end of the solenoid where the connection screws are.  Can't recall.  Anyway, they had one on stock so one starter got rebuilt to as-new condition.  They had use some Chinese substitute part with different screw placement, possibly harder to connect. 
-Dave

john erbe

Based on what's been said, can I assume that the 4.5 starter is not a direct swap?

raueda1

Quote from: john erbe on 09 June 2023, 04:05 PMBased on what's been said, can I assume that the 4.5 starter is not a direct swap?
No.  6.9 starter has 4 bolt holes, only 2 of which are used for some reason.  i don't know if there are other differences, but there's that, so I  would assume it's not a swap.  Cheers,
-Dave