News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

M110 Madness, looking for rebuild advice.

Started by Bad Benzo, 28 March 2023, 06:42 AM

Bad Benzo

I have a 1977 280SE (USA) with Bosch K-Jetronic.  This car has several hundred thousand miles, and despite my best efforts to "Stage 0" the car, I guess I couldn't get ahead of two decades of neglect.  Some sludge from the cam box clogged an oil passage and starved the main bearings, which resulted a bunch of copper glitter in my oil.

Last year, at a U-Pull-It yard, I found a reasonably clean 1975 280SE Euro spec car with a manual transmission. I promptly removed the manual transmission and all the related parts, plus the European exhaust.  I returned to scavenge the engine after I had the issue with my car.  The Euro Spec M110 D-Jet engine looks nice and tidy, has good compression, and it has maybe 1/3 of the miles of my USA spec engine. 

I thoroughly understand the differences between D-Jet and K-Jet, and with all the money I invested into rebuilding the K-Jet system in my car, I do not wish to convert it to D-Jet.  My current plan is to swap the Euro bottom end into my car, but retain my K-Jet head and cam box, because I have been led to believe that the heads and cams are incompatible.

Since everything will be getting a complete overhaul, I wanted to ask if anyone has any M110 rebuild tips, or if anyone could recommend a performance cam grind.  I know that dbilas has several grinds available, but I have also seen mention of a shop in the US with upgraded M110 cams, but I cannot seem to find a link.  While I think the increase in compression would certainly be a welcome upgrade in power, building it even better than stock would be a delight for me.

Thanks in advance!
1963 220SE - 1977 280SE - 1986 300E AMG

daantjie

Uhm, yes to go from KJET to DJET is going from the frying pan into the fire ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Bad Benzo

Quote from: daantjie on 28 March 2023, 11:04 AMUhm, yes to go from KJET to DJET is going from the frying pan into the fire ;D

I seriously dislike D-Jet, it's not that I don't understand it, but when things break or go bad, it gets very expensive very quick.  (as I found with my '72 W108 280SE 4.5)  With K-Jet, it seems that once everything is properly set up and I've eliminated any air leaks, the system performs very well for a very long time. 
1963 220SE - 1977 280SE - 1986 300E AMG

daantjie

Quote from: Bad Benzo on 28 March 2023, 06:05 PM
Quote from: daantjie on 28 March 2023, 11:04 AMUhm, yes to go from KJET to DJET is going from the frying pan into the fire ;D

I seriously dislike D-Jet, it's not that I don't understand it, but when things break or go bad, it gets very expensive very quick.  (as I found with my '72 W108 280SE 4.5)  With K-Jet, it seems that once everything is properly set up and I've eliminated any air leaks, the system performs very well for a very long time. 

Indeed.  Once Kjet is sorted it's rock solid.  All you need is clean fuel and regular use.  Plus the fact that it was used for decades in multiple makes and models ensures that parts are plentiful and not too dear.  Djet not so much.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Lance

I would think heads are the same just changeover intake