News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

WUR better, now engine races

Started by Feather535, 04 March 2023, 07:57 PM

ramiro

That would mean that you have dirt in the fuel distributor because the fuel distributor also has a mesh filter in the inlet fitting , so normaly there is no way for dirt to get from the tank to the fuel distributor.
Normaly you can blow through the wur with compressed air in the reverse direction and it should clean the mesh if its not to much dirt.

raueda1

Quote from: ramiro on 28 March 2023, 07:32 AMThat would mean that you have dirt in the fuel distributor because the fuel distributor also has a mesh filter in the inlet fitting , so normaly there is no way for dirt to get from the tank to the fuel distributor.
Normaly you can blow through the wur with compressed air in the reverse direction and it should clean the mesh if its not to much dirt.

At one point this drove me crazy.  I was somehow unaware of this filter.  Replacing it magically solved everything (my problem was fuel starvation). 

Anyway, in my mind all this begs the question of where the filter-clogging silt keeps coming from.  Your woes have been going on for a long time and now I can't recall what other things were done earlier on.  I assume that the primary fuel filter has been replaced?  Then there's the question of the fuel tank itself.  Rust sediment can (and does!) accumulate.  It shouldn't find its way past the primary filter, yet in reality it does.  I base this on the fact that all these other small filters in the system DO, in fact, get clogged up and the whole CIS system has a series of filters in series, from tank to injector line, so the designers obviously didn't expect the primary filter to be infallible.  So maybe it's time to take a hard look at the fuel tank itself.  Pulling it is an annoying job, to be sure.  There's another recent thread on refurbishing it.  Something to consider at this point.  When I pulled my tank I was amazed at how much junk was in it.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Feather535

Quote from: raueda1 on 28 March 2023, 08:51 AMAnyway, in my mind all this begs the question of where the filter-clogging silt keeps coming from.  Your woes have been going on for a long time and now I can't recall what other things were done earlier on.

That's the question: where is that stuff coming from?  It's a very light-colored silt, not big rust particles.

The person I acquired this car from put fresh fuel in the tank and replaced the fuel pump and the main filter. As far as I know he didn't drain the tank, but what he did got the engine running, although poorly. 

I won't list everything I've done since I've had the car, but the most obviously relevant things are replacing the fitting with the screen in the FD inlet and disassembling, cleaning and recalibrating the WUR.  I'm in the process of cleaning the WUR again after finding more silt inside.  But before I reinstall it again, I probably need to drain and clean the fuel tank.  Ugh.
--------
1977 280SE
1983 300D (sold)
1988 BMW 535is
1999 E320T (sold)
2009 E350T (wife's)

Feather535

Quote from: ramiro on 28 March 2023, 07:32 AMThat would mean that you have dirt in the fuel distributor because the fuel distributor also has a mesh filter in the inlet fitting

Yeah, I thought of that.  I already replaced the inlet fitting once and will clean it again now.  But what would be involved in cleaning the fuel distributor?  If dirt got in there, it could be everywhere.
--------
1977 280SE
1983 300D (sold)
1988 BMW 535is
1999 E320T (sold)
2009 E350T (wife's)