News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Rear auxiliary spring

Started by fichtl500, 17 November 2022, 02:16 AM

fichtl500

Hi, I am looking for the number of the rear small helper spring. Unfortunately, the online catalogs are for a different version and I can't find mine. Unfortunately, one is cracked.

rumb

What model car is this? Is there a option code on the radiator member for the springs? I can only guess it is a SA code special option or something added. Ive never seen those extra springs before. Do you know the delivery country of your car?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

fichtl500

Thanks, I don't understand the label marks. I'm sending photos, hopefully that will tell more.

rumb

The option codes dont reveal anything.

https://www.benzworld.org/attachments/mercdes-benz-vehicle-codes-pdf.479009/

The ones on radiator support generally have to do with the chassis, wereas the ones on the data card are "bolt on" options.

I dont think the datacard would have any special spring codes.

I cant really see how the spring attaches at the bottom in your picture. I am leaning towards these being added after the factory. It kind of looks like the top is just put on the bump stop.

Here are a few codes that refer to springs. Maybe they are on datacard?

215 harder springs
912 springs for increase payload
991 further coded options

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Id probably remove the extra springs and put 2 new regular ones in.

That said IDK it could be some special spring setup.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ProfessorExperimental

That looks to me like exactly what I'd expect from option 912: Westfalia (trailer manufacturer, also often the OEM for the German carmakers' own branded tow bars) offers "Zusatzfeder" (additional springs) for some benzes, but I couldn't find a listing for W116. The ones I did find (for w2xx, sprinters and such) all have Mercedes part numbers too, so they are factory options, and I'd say that's probably why the bump stops are designed like that.

Sadly my search of ze churman internetz didn't turn up anything for you. I suggest you clean em up and look for a part number or, if you aren't towing a horse float or other trailer with excessive drawbar weight and/or a full set of cousins and their golf clubs in the back you'll probably be fine just removing them. If the sag (static ride height) is then too low check your rubber grommets, I bet you won't have the thickest installed. Failing that look at the main springs: blue or red?

But like I say IF it's too low.
-Mark

ramiro

My 280se also has auxilary springs but there are on the inside not on the outside and are definitely aftermarket , i am also pretty sure that yours are also aftermarket , as far as i know the only thing you could get for the rear suspension was the hydraulic sls system.