News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Thoughts on this 450SE?

Started by siraaj.shah, 03 November 2022, 12:50 PM

siraaj.shah

Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum, and am looking at purchasing a W116. There is one available which I have linked below, I would appreciate any thoughts. I will be looking at it on Saturday to drive, but the Seller has noted that it has minimal surface rust, although it has an "idle issue". Could be an ICV, which is an easy fix, but can't be certain until I go take a look.

As well, it has been parked for 10 years, and it runs and drives without any issues, but of course it hasn't been on the road for a while, so what are things I should look out for? Thanks!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1638670935

rumb

From what can be seen in small pictures it looks in decent shape.

You do need to do a rust check, try the jack in all lifting points and carefully watch for deformation.

Take the front floor mats and pads out and look for rust there. Peer behind the fuse box in the corner.

Any rust holes you find will become much larger when repaired.

There isnt a ICV, rather a AAV- auxiliary air valve.  As the car warms up it closes and reduces the idle speed.  Common for them to be cleaned.

Any car this old that has sat it would be best to replace all rubber fuel hose, filters, soft brake lines, etc. If you get it plan on a complete service of everything.

$3750 seems a very decent price for what is presented.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

If it has spent it's whole life in AB pretty much guaranteed there will be a lot of rust underneath unfortunately.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Just looking closer there may be rust in corners of rear window? Look in trunk wheel wells.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

siraaj.shah

Thank You! I will be checking out for rust primarily, and see how it goes!

rolandmess

I asked this seller about this exact car. He told me it has a rough idle (which can be a very simple fix) and sent me a picture. let me see if i can add it here.

raueda1

A rough idle and be a wide range of things.  If it sat for 10 years I'd do a complete refurbishment of the fuel system.  Lots has been posted on the topic so just search.  It isn't too hard but is tedious and exacting.  Good luck!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

rumb

A rough idle can be a simple fix or a costly complicated one. Dont believe the seller. If it was easy he would have done it already.

That rust isnt surface. It is a huge crater waiting to be 10x bigger than it looks.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 11 November 2022, 08:56 AMA rough idle can be a simple fix or a costly complicated one. Dont believe the seller. If it was easy he would have done it already.

That rust isnt surface. It is a huge crater waiting to be 10x bigger than it looks.

So true!  To be clear, my suggestion is more the "costly complicated one."
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

BCK1963

When I look at this rust spot I think that the bad idle will be the least problem for the future owner.
The gap dimension towards the sill and the flakng off of the paint clearly show the spot has been worked upon before by a filler lover.I don't dare to estimate how the rest of the body stripped down to the bare metal might look like.
My guts say:This is a car for an experienced welder.
I may be wrong and I'd love to be shown that I was wrong.

Bernd
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue