News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Fuel Distributor M110

Started by Gpapaniko, 23 September 2022, 08:05 AM

Gpapaniko

Completely random mechanical discovery and interested in the feedback.  We used the Aussie public holiday to memorialise the queen with a fuel distributor swap on the Madam President W116 280SEL with a mate and his W123 280CE (Bessy).  As both a KJet CIS system, we thought no problem here.  So we bought two rebuilt distributors and we discovered not all M110 KJet F Distributors are the same, after our change over, the Madam President wouldn't start so we we reversed the process and compared the old and rebuilt.  The original FD had a different mechanism for the internal piston (seemed spring loaded) rather than using gravity.  While my mates old Distributor was the gravity type.  It may be the difference in the engine as mine is a M110.985 and his is a M110.984, but I wouldn't have thought that the CIS would be different.  Any one who can enlighten me on why the difference in the Fuel Distributor for the same engine, would be fascinated to know.  Interesting that our supplier of the rebuilt unit didn't know this either.  As the Madam President 280SEL is almost the very last W116 built (last 100 according to the Chassis No), I wonder if the distributor is more closely related to the W126 equivalent?  Any ideas
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

Randys01

1. Weren't W126 FD's alloy with adjustable fuel flow valves??  Yours would both be cast iron non adjustables.
2. The FD's work the same. What you have encountered { Im surmising } is the difference in resistance with the fuel plunger in the FD that still had some fuel in it. Once purged both FD's should exhibit the same nil resisitance  ie feels like it had a spring in it. Both should exhibit the same gravity return to the closed position and both should offer the same resistance when pushed back into the body.
Not sure who your FD rebuilder was but he should have reaffirmed that there is no difference BUT if there was, he should have known that too.
I have pulled these things apart for 10 years.all versions I have encountered are fundamnetally the same. I have never encountered..read..learnt..experinced..rumour..etc ever given rise to a change of functionailty in these devices.

Gpapaniko

Thanks Randy, after checking the manual I have on the M110 I found out that after Feb 1979 they did add a compressing spring to the iron version of the FD and prior to the release of the alloy version that appeared on the W126.  Who knew?.  Something to consider for anyone considering an FD swap.
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

Randys01

Well indeed!!.Christ.i've never come across this like I said.   and I've had 1984 replacements apart?
That is certainly one for the "idiot changes that no one knew about"  file.