News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

my new 6.9 is finally at home

Started by BMA, 24 August 2022, 01:19 AM

BMA

Hi guys,
I am Björn from Germany, 54 years old and I am a big fan of the W116's! After 6 Month of intensive searching for a nice W116 with close support of a well known German expert of the 6.9ers, I finally found one I would have personally configured 1979 in a "W116-Online-Configurator" :-).
It is a late 79 model (registered early 1980), 160.000 km, in 172 anthracite, leather bamboo, sunroof, ABS and the very rare electrical rear seat (no heated seats at all). Car is first hand, German initial delivery and was only maintained from the very same mercedes garage for 42 years, fully documented!  Cars first life was till 1992 (158.000 km) and came then in the collection of the owner for the next 30 years in a heated hall, but was always registered and driven every year for maintenance and repairs.So the condition is very, very good, but not perfect. No accident, basically corrosion free, nothing welded, but some areas need attention. Still first paint, some areas resprayed, but not perfectly done. One sill was badly repaired and needs to be redone. Hydro system, engine and transmission works perfectly. Water pump, pressure accumulator and warm-up regulator were recently fixed and refurbished, so engine starts in all conditions immediately and runs very smooth. Urgently to Do: Speedometer is defect, the manual air condition needs liquid and the tyres are too old (12 years, 1000 km) and run not nice anymore. Interior condition is also very good.
.....So, I am very happy being now a proud W116-Owner and looking forward to nice discussions here in that nice and active forum! :-)

Kind Regards from Germany,

Björn

happy having finally a 6.9 # 7271 in my garage, ...so nice to cruise!

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Gpapaniko

Well done Bjorn.  My search took 10 years so glad you landed your W116 when you did.  by the looks of you photos an original stereo and aerial should be on your list.  These are very analogue cars - the last of their kind in my view so get good luck on the restoration back to pure analogue:)
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

BMA

Thank you! The Antenna will be exchanged to an original Motorantenna from Hirschmann. The Radio will be exchanged probably to an ultra modern Radio, with a folding out touch screen with Car Play! ....Hidden Front and rear cameras shall protect the car further on. So I will put some modern digital gadgets into it, but always in a reversible way.

gurrier

Magnificent looking example Bjorn.   I note that it is debadged - must have been an option on purchase otherwise
the retainer holes would show.  Best of luck in the future and many happy years motoring.
1973 350SE

rumb

Wonderful looking car! The rear seat option is very rare.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

BMA

Quote from: gurrier on 24 August 2022, 07:55 AM...I note that it is debadged - must have been an option on purchase otherwise
the retainer holes would show...
Thanks @gurrier!.....Yes, option 260 and 261 to be precise. I still struggle back and forth, but more and more I want it fully badged! But only glued.

Mick74

Welcome, Bjorn. I love your car and the colour combo and specification is wonderful. Definitely a car worth the search. It has sat in a garage for long enough; get out and add some kilometres to that total, as a car as good as yours deserves to be seen and admired.
1979 6.9 #6475

BMA

Thank you @Mick74, your comment makes me happy!

Randys01

Oh wow!.what a beauty. Are those Mich xwx the ones that have to go?.what a crime!.time perished.

BMA

@Randys01: The Michelin xwx have only 2000 km, but are 12 years old.The handling is poor, tires have become hard and have an imbalance.
 Rims and tyres will be stored and 16" inch Barock rims from Maxilite will be purchased with modern tyres.

amilio

Congrats! She looks great. I hope you document some good road trips driving her!
1979 300 SD "Liesel", 282k Miles

Punker

Hallo Björn,

nice to hear from you. My name is Björn too. And I do have a 6.9. See picture.
1978 Mercedes 6.9 # 4616 - black/black leather
BMW R 25/3