News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

4000 km road-trip and contingency plans?

Started by Jan S, 27 June 2022, 08:15 AM

Jan S

(The car is a 1975 US 450 SE with a 1977 US 6.9 engine)

I'm planning a 4000 km (2500 miles) road-trip this summer – Norway and Germany.
I have done a fair bit of work on the car the last two years, replacing many parts and checking things. The car is running great, at the moment, but I must admit the trip is a nervy endeavour ... the car is close to 48 years old.

I'm planning to take with me:
- Engine oil
- Transmission oil
- A couple of "ice-cube" relays
- a spare tyre, a jack and all that ...
- "emergency" tool kit, including tools to close the sunroof manually

Anything else I should add to my list? Any suggestions/advice?
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

daantjie

Spare coolant
Good long breaker bar
Good flashlight with extra batteries
Headlamp
Rags and hand wipes
Gloves
Smock or old blanket you can lie on if you need to look/work underneath
Emergency triangle

Then I always keep a jug of drinking water in the car just in case.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Fluids, and fuses, maybe jump start cables depending on the age of your battery. Maybe a set of spare belts if not replaced already. Spare bulbs of all kinds.

Other than that, you're never far away from help in Germany, so I'd just relax and go for it.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Jan S

Perfect and thanks to both of you for inspiration - several items on your lists I will bring with me!

Mercedes Benz Museum and Classic Center, Fellbach - here he comes!

adamb

Sounds like an amazing trip. Take plenty of pictures for the W116 aficionados.

ptashek

Quote from: Jan S on 27 June 2022, 02:37 PMMercedes Benz Museum and Classic Center, Fellbach - here he comes!

Remember that under museum rules, you are allowed to park your classic right in front of the entrance in Stuttgart.
There is a designated area, not far from the statue of Fangio.

See here for details: https://forum.w116.org/test-drive/best-parking-spot-in-stuttgart/

Revilla already used my tip, and with success :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

revilla

I can confirm about the privilege to park just in front the museum!
We did the museum, the classic center, the guided tour of the Sindelfingen assembly plant and the Motor World (including a quick tour of the nicely decorated hotel rooms, google that to see).
Have a nice and safe trip.
Ps.: so your "low" temp issue, was it finally what I thought? Your temperature sensor on top of the engine?

mrkozzy

I would have thought the absolute best "tool" or "back-up" you can take with you would be
Breakdown Assistance Coverage or AA or whatever its called in Norway.

(Try https://www.vikingassistance.no/)  or something similar. They would have Europe wide coverage.

I've got the top cover on my Benz and I use it at least once a year.  Anything from a flat battery to a breakdown last year. My car was put on a Flatbed tow truck and delivered to my home over 200 kilometers away from where it stopped. Turns out the trigger points had fouled.  They sent my wife and I home in a Taxi! (2 hours 45 minutes - no charge)

I even get 1 nights accommodation in a budget hotel if I'm too far away. Whilst you may be prepared and carry a trunk full of spares, its the one spare you Don't carry that will leave you stranded.

Enjoy the trip.
MrKozzy

Jan S

Quote from: revilla on 28 June 2022, 12:15 AMI can confirm about the privilege to park just in front the museum!
We did the museum, the classic center, the guided tour of the Sindelfingen assembly plant and the Motor World (including a quick tour of the nicely decorated hotel rooms, google that to see).
Have a nice and safe trip.
Ps.: so your "low" temp issue, was it finally what I thought? Your temperature sensor on top of the engine?

Sounds great, look forward to it!

Yes, engine coolant temp sensor was shot, you were right (https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/6-9-k-jetronic-rough-and-high-idle-cold-start/msg152650/#msg152650)

Jan S

Quote from: mrkozzy on 28 June 2022, 05:15 AMI would have thought the absolute best "tool" or "back-up" you can take with you would be
Breakdown Assistance Coverage or AA or whatever its called in Norway.

(Try https://www.vikingassistance.no/)  or something similar. They would have Europe wide coverage.

I've got the top cover on my Benz and I use it at least once a year.  Anything from a flat battery to a breakdown last year. My car was put on a Flatbed tow truck and delivered to my home over 200 kilometers away from where it stopped. Turns out the trigger points had fouled.  They sent my wife and I home in a Taxi! (2 hours 45 minutes - no charge)

I even get 1 nights accommodation in a budget hotel if I'm too far away. Whilst you may be prepared and carry a trunk full of spares, its the one spare you Don't carry that will leave you stranded.

Enjoy the trip.

Yes, I have Oldtimer Insurance and 24/7 Road Assistance. I used it once - a shot fuel injection relay resulted in an unpleasant ride on a flatbed tow truck for 1 hour :'(  (took me a few weeks to identify the shot ice cube relay).

Jan S

Quote from: ptashek on 27 June 2022, 05:08 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 27 June 2022, 02:37 PMMercedes Benz Museum and Classic Center, Fellbach - here he comes!

Remember that under museum rules, you are allowed to park your classic right in front of the entrance in Stuttgart.
There is a designated area, not far from the statue of Fangio.

See here for details: https://forum.w116.org/test-drive/best-parking-spot-in-stuttgart/

Revilla already used my tip, and with success :)

YES!!! I saw that on their homepage ... I love those sort of privileges  ;D 

revilla

Jan S

Yes, I'm planning a Classics & Coffee "AFTERWORK" on a Thursday. Will be fun.

Jan S