News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Jan S

Quote from: ptashek on 20 May 2022, 04:49 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 20 May 2022, 12:31 PMptashek, would be interesting if you could elaborate regarding your statement .... "Truth be told, I much prefer driving either of my W124s these days. The refinement over just 9 years separating my 200T and the 450SE is incredible".

Sure :)

Simply put, comfort wise the W124 (the 200T in this case) outclasses my 450SE in every respect. Cabin noise, road feel, seat comfort. The 200T is just as serviceable as the 450SE, but parts supply is much better with thousands still on the road. Where it lacks is torque (140 v 370Nm), power (109 v 222HP) and - maybe - looks. End result? 7.5k miles between the two W124s in 2 years, and less than 700 in the W116.

Thanks!

I believe I see what you mean. The W116 looks great, is rock solid but close to 50 years ... says it all. But I love the car ... and strangely, the faster I go the more stable it gets (up to a certain point).

1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Jan S

Last week I renewed the hood isolation pad ... AND added a new tool to my tool box  ;D

The car and the engine bay looks so much better, I'm quite pleased with the job and the results  8)

SteveDuNord

Nice job. Mine was renewed by a previous owner but could probably use a new one. It flakes onto the engine bay. Not the best design.
'77 280se

raueda1

Quote from: Jan S on 07 June 2022, 04:54 AMLast week I renewed the hood isolation pad ... AND added a new tool to my tool box  ;D

The car and the engine bay looks so much better, I'm quite pleased with the job and the results  8)
Beautiful!  That pad makes such a difference.  Like SteveDuNord, mine was replaced by previous owner, thank god.  Happy motoring!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

johnnyw116

Looks factory fresh again ! i did mine about 9 years ago and i remember very well i was peeling of the old insulation for hours

JohnnyW116

Jan S

Over the weekend I did a first "major" test-drive since I closed several items on my to-do list. Total 820 km (510 miles) at a speed of mainly 90-120 km/h (55-75 miles/h).

Car performed beautifully. Started immediately cold and warm, although rpms still too high when warm (800 should be 600 ... need to look into that). Very stable and tight at relative high speed (75+ miles/h).

Average consumption 1,54 liter/10 km (15,27 miles/gallon) is the best I have ever measured (for that car).

Only a few things to put the finger on:
-   I missed the AC, but the sunroof worked flawlessly
-   Minor play in the steering box

Closed items:
-   Renovated radiator (disassembled, sandblasted, flanges re-welded, new register, painted)
-   New coolant hoses and clamps in engine bay (except return heater-to-engine, and expansion tank to lower part of radiator ... will leave those to later this fall)
-   New thermostat
-   New thermostat housing incl. bolts and sealing
-   New engine temp/coolant temp sensor
-   New coolant
-   New ignition cap and rotor
-   New "100-hose" (the breather hose from idling house to air intake left and right)
-   New rubber boots and vacuum lines around WUR and idling house
-   Cleaned and tested aux air valve
-   Cleaned idling house incl. new seal
-   New injectors incl. seals
-   New windshield wipers
-   New hood isolation pad

Nabstud

Nice work, good to see all the effort paid off!!!
1975 280S - Australian delivered

raueda1

Quote from: Jan S on 08 June 2022, 10:05 AMOver the weekend I did a first "major" test-drive since I closed several items on my to-do list. Total 820 km (510 miles) at a speed of mainly 90-120 km/h (55-75 miles/h).

Car performed beautifully. Started immediately cold and warm, although rpms still too high when warm (800 should be 600 ... need to look into that). Very stable and tight at relative high speed (75+ miles/h).

Average consumption 1,54 liter/10 km (15,27 miles/gallon) is the best I have ever measured (for that car).

Only a few things to put the finger on:
-   I missed the AC, but the sunroof worked flawlessly
-   Minor play in the steering box

Closed items:
-   Renovated radiator (disassembled, sandblasted, flanges re-welded, new register, painted)
-   New coolant hoses and clamps in engine bay (except return heater-to-engine, and expansion tank to lower part of radiator ... will leave those to later this fall)
-   New thermostat
-   New thermostat housing incl. bolts and sealing
-   New engine temp/coolant temp sensor
-   New coolant
-   New ignition cap and rotor
-   New "100-hose" (the breather hose from idling house to air intake left and right)
-   New rubber boots and vacuum lines around WUR and idling house
-   Cleaned and tested aux air valve
-   Cleaned idling house incl. new seal
-   New injectors incl. seals
-   New windshield wipers
-   New hood isolation pad
Great job!  I've come to believe that the cooling system work is an underappreciated thing - car can still seem to run fine, but when it's all perfect it really sings!  You're all set to drive across the desert.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

johnnyw116

Two months back i replaced the o-rings/seals of my fuel pump no problem there , but i noticed again the smell of fuel , and now the pump leaks around the plastic part were you connect the power supply cables on the fuel pump , probably the third seal/o-ring located under the pressed housing couses this leak ? i knew this could happen i realise 2 new seals is no rebuild , but i didn't expect it would have gone leaking again that soon , so used the brandnew Nissan replacement pump i recent bought on Ebay in case the old pump gone leaking again, so today i fitted the new Nissan 17011-P7211 replacement pump under the car, the strainer and the strainer hose i have already replaced a few weeks ago , the Nissan fuel pump was plug and play and the restart was a matter of seconds and this pump is even a bit more silent than the old original fuel pump , i hope that now i am done with the fuel leaking issues
JohnnyW116

Gpapaniko

This week the fair lady 280SEL got new bottom window rubbers on all 4 doors, a new old AC Condensor and a replacement diff.  She's had a fair but done in her first 6 months with me and we now have got her into a great Sunday Driver condition.

We have spoilt her with the following

- new injectors
 - rebuilt front callipers, 4 new rotors
 - new windshield rubbers front and back
 - replaced the delimanited rear screen
 - unstuck all four sticking door latches
 - greased and serviced all four door hinges
 - rebuilt the rear backrest
 - rebuilt the AC system, new compressor, tx valve, hoses, Condensor
 - got the Becker Mexico radio working after sourcing the factory amp and harness
 - new flasher relay
 - cut and polish side windows
 - 5 new tyres
 - and then the work this week

Lots of You Tube (Kent Burgsman is my new hero) to get about half of this done at home

Happy weekend all
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

sutekh

Safety last in my garage! Works great BTW...

mrkozzy

Quote from: Gpapaniko on 17 June 2022, 08:00 AMThis week the fair lady 280SEL got new bottom window rubbers on all 4 doors, a new old AC Condensor and a replacement diff.  She's had a fair but done in her first 6 months with me and we now have got her into a great Sunday Driver condition.
Hi Gpapanilo.  I would appreciate a picture of the "bottom window rubbers" you replaced if thats at all possible.
               Also seeing you are in Oz, where did you source these from?
               I have a feeling I need to do the same.

Regards

Kozzy   
MrKozzy

Gpapaniko

Quote from: mrkozzy on 18 June 2022, 10:09 PM
Quote from: Gpapaniko on 17 June 2022, 08:00 AMThis week the fair lady 280SEL got new bottom window rubbers on all 4 doors, a new old AC Condensor and a replacement diff.  She's had a fair but done in her first 6 months with me and we now have got her into a great Sunday Driver condition.
Hi Gpapanilo.  I would appreciate a picture of the "bottom window rubbers" you replaced if thats at all possible.

Regards

Kozzy   

Hi Kozzy

Sourced them from Pelican Parts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=116-725-00-65-MBZ

You have to cut the rear ones to size but the front ones are a fit.

You need to remove the door card and have the window wound all the way down to remove the chrome piece as the rubber and chrome are on the same clips

Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

Gpapaniko

Quote from: Gpapaniko on 29 June 2022, 07:53 AM
Quote from: mrkozzy on 18 June 2022, 10:09 PM

Regards

Kozzy   

Hi Kozzy

Sourced them from Pelican Parts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=116-725-00-65-MBZ

You have to cut the rear ones to size but the front ones are a fit.

You need to remove the door card and have the window wound all the way down to remove the chrome piece as the rubber and chrome are on the same clips

I'm also Melbourne based
Never stop loving
1980 280SEL

Jan S

Today I replaced the two ballast resistors, as part of my preventive maintenance.

They looked old, cracked and "used", hence I replaced them.

My understanding is that the ballast resistors help to regulate the current and the voltage in the ignition system, thereby protecting individual components such as battery, coil, etc.

Is that correct?

I also cleaned the area, giving a good indication of how the rest of the engine bay could present itself, with a little effort.  ;D