News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

280se - new to me, warm stalling!

Started by SteveDuNord, 04 May 2022, 10:57 AM

SteveDuNord

Hmm. Not sure. I need to take a look in the daylight.
I'm still concerned about this uncapped pipe near the throttle body. Have done some reading and it might be a vacuum line from the throttle housing to the distributor on pre 78 cars (mine is a '77).

If so, I'm missing a hose.

Hose no.3 on this image? (Not my engine)

'77 280se

SteveDuNord

Update: discovered an existing throttle body to distributor hose, so whatever this pipe is, it's venting out into the engine bay.

'77 280se

rumb

"Update: discovered an existing throttle body to distributor hose"

where does that hose connect?  It makes a difference.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

SteveDuNord

Quote from: rumb on 12 May 2022, 07:46 AM"Update: discovered an existing throttle body to distributor hose"

where does that hose connect?  It makes a difference.

It starts here:

And goes to this round thingy on the dizzy, marked yellow.

Other side of said thingy:

And the above hose/wire goes underneath to here, which feels like a three way connector. Then disappears into the manifold somewhere.

On the previous image (marked 'not my engine') the same hoses seem to go towards the ignition coil (if that's what it is?).
'77 280se

rumb

Both fitting are below the throttle plate so that is good.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

SteveDuNord

Quote from: rumb on 12 May 2022, 01:01 PMBoth fitting are below the throttle plate so that is good.

I would have no idea why, but am pleased to hear it.  ;D

The issue I face is that the uncapped pipe on the throttle housing is either meant to have a hose attached, meant to be capped, or meant to be as it is - unconnected and uncapped.

Until I know, I can't solve any vacuum leak issues. Problem is there's so many different configurations across model years. And it appears vacuum hoses go missing over the years while people tinker with their systems.
'77 280se

ptashek

That thingy on your dizzy is the automatic ignition advance vacuum pod. Can't help with the other thingy.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Usually in my experience the vacuum advance line goes from the distributor to a switch on the firewall which controls idle up when you have the AC on.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

SteveDuNord

Thanks, fellas. I read somewhere that maybe the EGR valve connects to the throttle housing. So if my car has an egr valve, maybe someone has blocked it off, and maybe they forgot to cap the pipe?

I've also read that a throttle housing pipe goes to the purge valve and then the charcoal canister. So that's maybe a possibility.

At least I'm learning about the engine bay.  ;)

'77 280se

SteveDuNord

Well I did the smoke check again today and identified the offending hose. Accessible only by my left hand, upside down.  >:(

Someone had jerry rigged it with electrical tape. The baby oil used for smoke production was dripping out, and caused it to slip apart.

The plastic joint is a tad too large for the diameter of the hose, so someone decided to split the hose to make it fit, at both ends.  ::)

Best I could do was to snip the hose and force the piece in, then cable tie it.

Enter a lot of this stuff, which won't be easy to apply with my upside down weak hand. Especially the flame on the heatshrink.  ;D

Here's the other end of the hose, heavily split, which is an offshoot of a larger hose, so it's not like I can just replace it.

Well, somehow I managed to apply three cable ties in total, a bit of gaffa tape, and some heatshrink. By golly it stopped the leak!

There was still a bit of smoke exiting the throttle body around some linkage, but at this point I don't really care. Plus, that part is accessible at least.

Spark plugs going in later, air filter back on and I'll do another vacuum pressure test just out of interest...

Sorry for all the pics!!

'77 280se

gurrier

For my part SteveDuNord no need to apoligise.  Its for infotainment like this that I,for one, frequent the Forum.

Bill
1973 350SE

SteveDuNord

Thanks, Bill. In turn, it's nice to have like minded people to share information with. I have my sister staying with me, she just nods at my humble achievements and says 'good...?'. 
;D

I managed to change the spark plugs today. Was cursing my luck when I saw the threaded part was missing. Didn't realise you could pull the cap off. Doh.

Anyone for Autumn Leaves? Yikes.

A quick blast with the hand held vacuum and just good old fashioned filth.  ;D

Torqued to around 20nm. A tad less than the savage who fitted the last set, blimey.

All that done, air filter back on, time to test the vacuum pressure again after fixing that hose: nice and steady with a slight improvement. No smoke from the exhaust either. I'll take it...

Will it stop the warm stalling? Probably not. But maybe after the new Bosch distributer cap and rotor are fitted. Probably with some new Bosch plugs too. The ones that are on now are cheap.

While we're here let's check the brake fluid. Oh mercy!  :o

Tester lit up like a christmas tree

No bother, every fluid is being changed anyway. Tomorrow I'll test the warm start issue again. Just for fun.

'77 280se

Nabstud

Great work!! That is also great vacuum for an old motor.
1975 280S - Australian delivered

SteveDuNord

Quote from: Nabstud on 14 May 2022, 09:20 PMGreat work!! That is also great vacuum for an old motor.

Thanks!

Went for a drive today, was travelling at motorway speeds for over ten minutes before I realised the parking brake was still engaged.  :-\

Unfortunately the warm stalling when engaging gear, after turning engine off and back on, is still there. Reverse worse than D.

Ordered a Mann oil filter and am picking up some 15/40 millers mineral oil tomorrow. Still waiting on the dizzy cap and rotor.
'77 280se