News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

DIY gaskets for air intake manifold 6.9?

Started by Jan S, 31 March 2022, 02:47 PM

Jan S

The two gaskets left and right for the air intake seems to be NLA (1977 450 SEL 6.9)

- A 100 141 16 80
- A 100 141 17 80

I probably have to make them myself ....

- have some of you met the same type of problem?
- what type of material should I choose?
- material thickness?
- other issues to be aware of?

Any tips would be welcomed.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

daantjie

I'm sure you can likely cut your own however tricky it may be.  I know you can buy sheets of Elring or Felpro gasket material for the purpose of cutting your own.  I would be surprised if the gasket material is anything special.
Most important of course is good fit and seal.  You can couple the gasket with a thin application of Hylomar or similar type sealant.  I am a big fan of Permatex brand and I'm sure you'll find a compound suitable.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Jan S

Thanks!

I've been looking at Elring. They recommend silicone Dirko HT 036.164 for the 6.9 engine (probably other engines as well).

I will contact them to get the recommended solid gasket material as well.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

PosedgeClk

Quote from: daantjie on 31 March 2022, 04:47 PMI'm sure you can likely cut your own however tricky it may be.  I know you can buy sheets of Elring or Felpro gasket material for the purpose of cutting your own.  I would be surprised if the gasket material is anything special.
Most important of course is good fit and seal.  You can couple the gasket with a thin application of Hylomar or similar type sealant.  I am a big fan of Permatex brand and I'm sure you'll find a compound suitable.
Second on this. It probably is not anything special. I was looking at an OM617 intake manifold gasket yesterday (no idea where it came from; P/N starts with A103), and it is a dark, fibrous material and maybe 0.3mm thick. You probably want something that can handle temperatures of 150degC or so and is oil resistant. If you look in any other car forum for intake manifold gasket DIYs, you should be able to find everything that you want to know. A gasket cutter or an X-Acto knife can go a long way here.

If you know someone with a CNC laser cutter and can do 2D CAD, you can go that route. I have had many gaskets cut for machines. I used something like Garlock which is overkill for this application. My design iterations involved measuring and printing check plots with a laser printer on transparencies. If everything was aligned well, it was good enough to send to the laser cutter. The cutter usually needs a little adjustment, so purchase some extra material if you go that route.
1979 450SEL 6.9