News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Lament and beginning again...

Started by Casey, 24 February 2022, 04:40 AM

Casey

Quote from: johnnyw116 on 05 March 2022, 06:38 PMYes this W116 has an basic LPG G1 instalation you also have G2,G3 and G4 but they are fitted in the more modern cars and work with computers and lpg injectors (the G stands for generation) but they use lpg overhere in Holland for ages they began to drive on it here in about 1955, but it became more populair in the 70's many (full size) American cars ran on LPG overhere and they could drive forever on it without issues , but the mercedes V8 engines can run also pretty good on lpg only the M110 280S/SE engines seems to have weaker cylinderheads than the M116/M117 engines and need most of the times an cilinderhead rebuild after a period running on lpg but the M116/M117 V8's most of the times not , the damper needs the warm/hot water/coolant of the engine otherwise the LPG freezes in the damper/vapouriser

Interesting information I wasn't aware of.  Here in the US, LPG vehicles are extremely rare.  I have only seen one converted pickup truck, and the LPG could not be safely used in it anymore as it needed some repairs.  My dad used to work in natural gas and had a company-provided NG truck for a while, years ago...

What I like about propane is that it stores well indefinitely unlike gasoline or even diesel.  It's easy to buy a big tank and have fuel any time you need it for years to come, that you don't need to feel any pressure to use before it fouls.  So while I find such modifications a bit sacriligious, it is interesting.

I have heard that dual-fuel generators have a lower energy output when run on propane vs. diesel.  Do you know if this would apply to vehicles as well, or would a higher amount of propane be injected to match the gasoline performance?  Currently here propane is not too much less per gallon than gasoline; so it seems like propane being cost-saving may be a thing of the past or just something that wasn't ever as much different here which may be why we never see such conversions...

johnnyw116

Overhere the price of LPG is going up in the last years its now about 1 euro for 1 Liter and E5 gasoline is now about €2,50 in Euro's for 1 liter thats $ 2,76 in Dollars , with the older G1 it has a bit more consumption and and it's less powerful than petrol , but the more modern LPG instalations have better performance and consumption but i dont believe it can beat the power and performance of petrol , and LPG also burns hotter by the way something not every cylinderhead and valve like's

JohnnyW116

adamb

My goodness! Casey is back. Tbh I didn't expect that. You certainly let got of a treasure trove back then. Still... good to see that the passion hasn't died. I'm in my 24th year of W116 ownership and still enjoying it though I don't drive as much as I used to.

Casey

Quote from: adamb on 22 April 2022, 04:53 PMMy goodness! Casey is back. Tbh I didn't expect that. You certainly let got of a treasure trove back then. Still... good to see that the passion hasn't died. I'm in my 24th year of W116 ownership and still enjoying it though I don't drive as much as I used to.

Yeah, I got in over my head and the collection was bogging me down too much, or so I thought, at the time.  It was a blast while it lasted.  After getting married and starting to have kids, I just didn't have the same time or interest in the cars.  I still don't, but the past several years with no vintage Mercedes, and the past couple with no Mercedes at all, have been insightful.  My last three Mercedes were a W211 wagon, an X164, and a Sprinter passenger van so very different vehicles.  All wonderful vehicles but they just don't scratch the vintage itch.  I'm taking my time now though - not in a big rush.  I very nearly pulled the trigger on a euro 6.9 recently (metallic light green paint, tobacco velour interior), but it was in worse shape than I wanted to start with, so I made the difficult call to walk away from it.  At this point I'd rather spend more for something in as pristine shape as possible, though that does mean spending more (and in the case of euro 6.9's, patiently waiting for the right one to appear on the market at all).  My current vehicle has been needing a lot of work recently too so that's been an additional distraction and expense, we decided to buy a larger property so that's in process now.  So it will be a little while yet before I'm really back...