News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

My new 450sel

Started by Flogrates, 23 December 2020, 03:12 PM

Jan S

The cable has circulare "teeth" at the motor-end. If this part of the cable is worned out you need to buy a new cable.

I cleaned the tube by spraying break cleaner from the front end. I also used a small bottle brush and a thin steel thread at each end (in case the brush got stuck). Worked fine, but be careful to make a smooth knot when tying the brush to the steel thread to avoid getting stuck. And you need a bucket in the trunk to catch the greasy brake cleaner.

I let the brush go through 3 times and dry for 1-2 days before greasing and assembling the cable.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Flogrates

Quote from: Jan S on 10 October 2021, 05:32 PM
The cable has circulare "teeth" at the motor-end. If this part of the cable is worned out you need to buy a new cable.

I cleaned the tube by spraying break cleaner from the front end. I also used a small bottle brush and a thin steel thread at each end (in case the brush got stuck). Worked fine, but be careful to make a smooth knot when tying the brush to the steel thread to avoid getting stuck. And you need a bucket in the trunk to catch the greasy brake cleaner.

I let the brush go through 3 times and dry for 1-2 days before greasing and assembling the cable.
Interesting to method, I will attempt similar.

To be honest the tube doesn't seem that gunky in mine. The switch and the runners seem to be the main issue.

I pulled the switch apart, and tested it with out the small ball bearings and the motor works both ways. Which is a relief. I'll re assemble switch and re fit tomorrow.

I have another switch coming tho, that is less worn. Should tidy the dash up a bit

mrkozzy

Following your article with interest.  Nice to see someone else at it rather than myself.  Keep up the enthusiasm.

Anyway some time ago you wrote.........

Quote from: rumb on 24 August 2021, 11:18 AM
Depending on the year, one could 1 or 2 more bulbs into the rear lights.  But all that wiring should be inside the housing.

It's a 78, it has a extra bulb in one side but not the other ?

The 1 x extra bulb will be in your RHS (Drivers) side tailight assembly. (RHD). This extra bulb "IS" your rear fog lamp.   You only get one of these on the rear.  Hence the extra bulb 
MrKozzy

Flogrates

Quote from: mrkozzy on 12 October 2021, 01:55 AM

Following your article with interest.  Nice to see someone else at it rather than myself.  Keep up the enthusiasm.

Anyway some time ago you wrote.........

Quote from: rumb on 24 August 2021, 11:18 AM
Depending on the year, one could 1 or 2 more bulbs into the rear lights.  But all that wiring should be inside the housing.

It's a 78, it has a extra bulb in one side but not the other ?

The 1 x extra bulb will be in your RHS (Drivers) side tailight assembly. (RHD). This extra bulb "IS" your rear fog lamp.   You only get one of these on the rear.  Hence the extra bulb

That's good to hear mate! I mostly do it because I am a just an over Sharer but it's also to try and get some info back out there, with the death of the forum the solutions aren't as easy any more. Can't just google anything and get an answer from the clever people anymore.

Ohh there you go, strange feature really

Flogrates

Have nearly finkshed the sunroof service, it all went back together quite well. Bar 2 things

1) I cut corners with cleaning the rails they slide on, I didn't quite get it clean and lubed all the way to the back and it shows

2) it won't shut LOL. It isn't pushing the flappy bit at the front down properly. I must have bumped it out of alignment at some point in the process. I'll have a read and a go another day.

Edit - I have fiddled some more, the roof is lifting a touch and not pushing down onto the lever for the black flappy thing. If I pull the roof down it will slide closed fine. Why is the question now

Flogrates

After some more investigation, I believe I have found the cause.

The end of the cable has a slight bend, that I would say is pushing the sun roof up.

In the process of finding this, I lost the clip that holds the cable to the sun roof, threaded one of the lock out screws on the sunroof and got the headliner greasey, so I give up for today. Sigh :-[

Flogrates

Today, I finally got around to testing to see if the new globe holder. Unfortunately it popped the fuse instantly.

I was really hoping that was going to solve my problem.

Next step I'll re flow the solder on the PCB I suppose? If it's in the loom it's staying there, i really don't want to pull the dash out

Edit- I've managed to accidentally short the circuit, which has some stopped the electronic fan on the front of the motor working. To have the fan on, I have to have the globe holder that causes the fuse popping in???

0 steps foward 4 backwards

Flogrates

Hello again, very long time no post.

After giving up on my shorting issue in October last year I drove the car about 3x then parked it and forgot about it for a few months. I toyed with selling it, but mostly attracted merc owners telling me how many cars they owned and low ballers on gumtree who know everything there is to know about the car offering me 3k.

Until today, when it got a quick drive and an oil change. Jeepers was the oil fouled. I have to have a look but I'd be surprised if it's done 500 since it's last oil change.

Now winter is coming in and work will settle significantly my aim is to get the cruise control working and fix rhe dash, a local sparky is going to take over for me as I've reached the limit of ability with it.

And maybe if I get super keen I'll take the head off and get the valves done. And get some new suspension under it. Never ends does it?