News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Interchangeable bumpers…

Started by LRoss22, 15 February 2022, 01:25 PM

LRoss22

Is there a list of models who's bumpers are interchangeable?

We just acquired a 1979 300SD, and of course would like to swap the bumpers for a set of euro bumpers. In my quest for finding a set of euros , I have found a 1979 450 parts car that appears to have euro bumpers on it and am
Wondering if these are the same as on the 300sd models.

I am new to classic Mercedes' and still trying to figure out that variations between models within the W116 range.

Thanks

daantjie

Short answer is yes you can graft the Euro bumpers onto the 300SD with some mods, but no different than say a 450 SEL would have required.  There are many posts here and on the web on how to tackle this.  Rear one is a cake walk, front is a tad more involved.  Most important is to make sure the set you get is not rusted to hell , especially the brackets you need must be in good shape.  You can still source new brackets and such on ebay and so on, I think I have a full set for the fronts if you want to buy them off me.  Some guys mod the US style shock absorbers to work with the Euro bumpers, for sure there is a post on the forum from a member who did this and from memory it looked great, if you can weld of course...
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

LRoss22

I know the euro bumpers require some mods to fit the us version car and I've seen a bunch of those posts and tutorials.

But is the 450se euro bumper the same
Size as the 300sd euro bumper?

Or is the 450se USA bumper the same as the 300sd USA bumper?

Thanks

daantjie

There is no 300SD Euro, this model was made for the North American market exclusively.  There is no difference in Euro bumpers, they are all the same, so don't get hung up on this.  Like I said, find the best set of Euro bumpers you can, then find the best way to mount them that suits your budget/skill/time parametres.  You can make anything fit with enough time/skill/money 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber