News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Windscreen Removal/Install

Started by TNNBENZ, 09 November 2021, 04:07 PM

TNNBENZ

:)   :)   :)  Help, help......... :D   
     A friend says he will help me this week , (a couple days from now so a quick response would b appreciated)........ install my back windscreen,  hopefully he will also help do the front if I have much of the work done before he arrives.
     I need any & all tips & advice on how to do this easily,  ;)  ::)  ;)  Trim removal, gasket removal, etc...etc...  I have 2 great looking URO gaskets.  Will post part numbers later to double check if they are correct ones.........  ::)
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Jan S

I've seen this video on the tube. It's the front, I guess the rear is similar. I've never done this job myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM&ab_channel=KenBlake

Good luck!
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

Harv

Get ready. It is a nightmare of a job.

Also I wouldn't recommend the URO gaskets. OEM is the way to go.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Harv on 09 November 2021, 08:12 PM

I think I heard ( Pierrie Herrieay the guy on youtube ) say be careful about SOME URO parts.    Why are you against URO gaskets ? 
My friend has done several American cars.    He acts like it is easy.    I had a feeling this might be harder for a Mercedes Benz...........The gaskets I have from URO appear to be well made.  The fitment & material may be below standard.............What you think ?
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

[/quote]
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Jan S on 09 November 2021, 06:53 PM
I've seen this video on the tube. It's the front, I guess the rear is similar. I've never done this job myself.

Good luck!
Thank-you Jan.............I found this vid from a post right after I made this post.   I watched about 2 minutes of it earlier. I stopped to go & work outside.  I am now going to finish the vid............thanks again.......... I am disappointed you have to wait until Spring to do more work on your car.  I enjoy reading your posts.  It did not seem to bother you about the wait.  ???
      You are a good mechanic and taught me a lot............THANX......... :)  :) 
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Quote from: Harv on 09 November 2021, 08:12 PM

I bought the gaskets many moons ago because of the price, so I may try to find a solution. Also I will look and see if my gasket has the rubber flange.
     Here is a review from Pelican Parts...
Here's what our customers have to say about this part:
Sanford Helmuth
April 11th, 2020
Good seal  URO Part Number 123 670 01 39
This seal is a little different from the original style in that it doesn't have a rubber flange that goes over the chrome trim but it fit well and it's been great to drive my car again!
       The rubber flange is for the water to run off.  Will the seal keep water from going underneath the trim ???  Some reviews & URO claims they have inproved some of their issues.   Anyone have any recent experience ?   
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

Attached is a drawing from youtube video.  Will gasket glass sealer stop water without the flange ? I do believe Mercedes list a sealer in install instructions.  ???   Do not remember
     Looks like I can put sealer or caulking under the chrome molding and seal against water... Any other ideas ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

The part number & review I listed is not for a W116. I may be wrong but it is for a 300D.
The drawing is for a W116...
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

johnnyw116

you need 116 670 00 39 , and the chrome trim of the rear screen is separate from the rubber , the chrome trim of the rear screen Upper Right and Left one are pushed into clips that are atached on the body of the car , and the Lower chrome trim is slided into the same mounting clips and makes contact with the rubber it slides a bit under the flange of the rubber , and the chrome trims are connected with each other with three shrouds you can slide aside , and to avoid bending the chrome trim dont pull it too hard , and some interior parts need to be removed to for installing the new rubber for better access and to disconnect the powercable of the rearscreen heater , did mine some years ago but my complete interior was out of the car so i had easy acces on the inside , and i dont have a heated rearscreen so removal was verry easy with a stanley knife after removing the chrome trim
JohnnyW116

TNNBENZ

Thank-you johnny w116.  Definitely good info  ;)  ;)  ;)   More later...........I have lots 2 do before cold weather gotta go........... :o  :o  :o
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Jan S

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 09 November 2021, 10:21 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 09 November 2021, 06:53 PM

Good luck!
Thank-you Jan.............I found this vid from a post right after I made this post.   I watched about 2 minutes of it earlier. I stopped to go & work outside.  I am now going to finish the vid............thanks again.......... I am disappointed you have to wait until Spring to do more work on your car.  I enjoy reading your posts.  It did not seem to bother you about the wait.  ???
      You are a good mechanic and taught me a lot............THANX......... :)  :)

Thank you for holding me in such high regards, it's fully undeserved  :) I'm not an experienced mechanic - I'm taking step by step and learning every day. This forum is a great place to both learn and share experiences. The more I learn the more I can give back.

Again, good luck with the windscreen (that job is far down on my list of jobs)

And, I might have an opening to do the "spring job" after all at the coming weekend. We'll see.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

TNNBENZ

Jan S,  I currently trying to open my back left door so I can work inside installing the back glass easier...........I have a post in interior section of forum.  I hope to day to remove the trim & maybe loosen the sealer & hope there is no rust.   Thankx for asking .....I must go for now, for Winter is catching me also.................!!!!!! :-\  :)  ???
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof