News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

My new 450sel

Started by Flogrates, 23 December 2020, 03:12 PM

Flogrates

So a few things, all the gross wiring is for a trailer plug. Hopefully that's also the cause of my fuse popping, I will remove it all next job

Current job, I put the aerial back together for much the same result and pulled it back apart again to clean some more, in the process of this, the little blue thing in the pictures has malfunctioned.

It works if you depress the individual levers for up and down but doesn't auto activate.

ptashek

Quote from: Flogrates on 25 August 2021, 05:19 AM
again to clean some more, in the process of this, the little blue thing in the pictures has malfunctioned.

It works if you depress the individual levers for up and down but doesn't auto activate.

Looks like a bare-bones DPST relay. Most likely the coil has failed. You should be able to find a suitable replacement.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Flogrates

Quote from: ptashek on 25 August 2021, 11:42 AM
Quote from: Flogrates on 25 August 2021, 05:19 AM
again to clean some more, in the process of this, the little blue thing in the pictures has malfunctioned.

Looks like a bare-bones DPST relay. Most likely the coil has failed. You should be able to find a suitable replacement.
.argh thank you.

Google was not helping me at all.

Flogrates

Aerial magically fixed itself, it still doesn't go all the way down but I've officially given up on that dream.

I cut the trailer wiring harness out so hopefully that's my fuse blowing issue.

Time to get the sunroof working now.

Flogrates

Turns out the trailer plug was not the cause of the short.

After much messing about I've isolated it to the cluster. The Globe directly above the main power plug will pop the fuse if you wiggle it.

Since ive found this I have had intermittent issues with getting the cluster lights to function.

Something's up

Edit, ok it is the globe holder, playing with it will light a globe up in the fuse holder.

Flogrates

More fiddling, more confusion.

I just spend the morning fiddling, I added an additional earth, that some of the r107 mob for some peice of mind.

I've isolated it to either the Globe holder itself or the PCB itself.

The Globe holder seems to have a bit of play in it, and is not always illuminating the globe even when the circuit is fine. I pulled it apart and cleaned all the contacts with steel wool but that didn't seem to help.

The PCB is totally beyond me, I need to watch some YouTube I suppose.

Is there any precedent for either of these things causing issues?

UTn_boy

The LED version of these small bulbs are too long.  They are longer than the originals, and their bases are somewhat different.  Try putting the regular incandescent bulb back in and then see what happens. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Flogrates

Quote from: UTn_boy on 11 September 2021, 10:01 PM
The LED version of these small bulbs are too long.  They are longer than the originals, and their bases are somewhat different.  Try putting the regular incandescent bulb back in and then see what happens.

i tried that initially, same issue.

UTn_boy

Quote from: Flogrates on 13 September 2021, 05:33 AM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 11 September 2021, 10:01 PM

i tried that initially, same issue.

In that case I'd buy a new socket.  Here is one on ebay for $12.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Lamp-Sockets-0005452019-NOS-NLA-in-unopened-bag-price-for-1-/133378993033?_ul=IL

Flogrates

I ordered a new socket last week, hopefully that will sort my issues!

I accidentally damaged the wheel emblem at some point in the many ins and outs lately, so I coloured it in with paint pen. Worked alot better than I expected it too

Flogrates

So, Thanks to both the Rona and a mistype the globe holder hasn't shown up yet. I know how you are on the edge of the seat about if that's my issue.

But instead today, I have started the sunroof service. Got the panel and the cable out, found some rust and cleaned the tube as best I can with an aquarium filter brush and some wd40. The tube left in the car doesn't seem that bad, unsure how to clean the hole thing, my brush only can go so deep.

How do I tell if the cable is to worn? The amount of rust in the runners makes me think the cable is ok but Google not very helpful.

As my other topic my switch seems to an issue, goes one way but not the other. I think I'll get another one as it's worn to look at anyway.

I'll put new slidey feet things on too if k can find them they don't look that worn but while it's out be silly not too

UTn_boy

Some of those slidy feet things are no longer available, and some of  the ones that are cost $20-$30 USD each, if not more. 

ptashek

Quote from: UTn_boy on 10 October 2021, 03:34 PM
Some of those slidy feet things are no longer available, and some of  the ones that are cost $20-$30 USD each, if not more.

The rubber part of those is not an issue, and can be 3D printed with TPU filament. The problem is the fabric lining which makes them slide easy.
Might be doable with some experimentation :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Flogrates

I am waiting for a mate in the local Merc parts to get back to me about them, he remembered getting a set semi recently but wasn't sure when.

Flogrates

Quote from: ptashek on 10 October 2021, 03:43 PM
Ive had a 3d printer sitting in my Amazon cart for quite some time, just been waiting for the right problem to present itself. Maybe this is it.
The rubber part of those is not an issue, and can be 3D printed with TPU filament. The problem is the fabric lining which makes them slide easy.
Might be doable with some experimentation :)